2021 Substation II Program – Session 3
October 19, 2021 - October 22, 2021
NEPPA is pleased to be building a completely revitalized Substation Program, including both Substation I and Substation II.
Substation II Program will continue to be held 4-days/week for 4 weeks/year. NEPPA’s Substation II Program is designed to build upon the foundations learned in the Substation I Program, and focus on the principles of substation design, construction, operations and maintenance.
In addition to in-class lecture, the Substation II Program incorporates hands-on application of concepts and testing, field visits and tours of different installations, and weekly testing including a final exam to demonstrate knowledge and comprehension of the course content.
Substation II registration is not open currently. Please email email@example.com to be notified as soon as additional details become available.
Upon successful completion of the Program, students are awarded a Certificate of Completion.
Course Dates & Hours
Unless otherwise notes, in-person sessions are held from 8:00 am – 2:00 pm each day.
Each Friday of the session will consist of a virtual review of the week’s material and online testing. Students should plan to attend classes in-person at the Training Center Tuesday – Thursday, and join the session(s) remotely on Friday.
Dates are subject to change however advance notice will be provided, as needed.
Session III: October 19 – 22, 2021
Session IV: November 16 – 19, 2021
NEPPA Training Center
200 New Estate Road
Littleton, MA 01460
Upcon successful completion of the Program, Substation II particicpants should be able to:
- Apply concepts on how to design, build, maintain, troubleshoot and repair a substation.
- Demonstrate an advanced understanding and knowledge of applicable standards, specifications and regulations such as OSHA and the National Electrical Safety Code (NESC)
- Practice safely entering, exiting and performing maintenance in a substation.
- Apply advanced concepts of the substation’s role in a distribution system including testing and programming.
- Demonstrate ability to test and program equipment found in a substation, including applicable safety precautions including PPE
- Demonstrate an advanced understanding of SCADA, as well as switching and tagging.
- Safely rack a circuit breaker
- Safely bypass a voltage regulator
- Safely deenergize and reenergize a power transformer
- Demonstrate a holistic understanding of Transmission & Distribution and overall operations including:
>Distributed Energy Resources (DERs) & Energy Storage
In order to be succesful in the Substation II Program, students are expected to participate in the new Basic Electricity and Mathematics for Utility Operations course, as well as successfully complete the Substation I Program.
Substation II registration is not open at this time. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to be notified as soon as additional details become available.
P.E., Safety & Technical Trainer
Tim Richardson joined NEPPA in September of 2019 and has been an asset to the training team. Tim has a long history working in the electric utility industry, including as General Manager of Belmont Municipal Light Department from 1995 – 2007.
Most recently, Tim has worked as Principal of Fundy Power Services, LLC and at Consulting Engineers Group prior to that.
Tim brings a wealth of both technical and safety expertise to the organization and applies his expertise of both in an easy-to-understand and easy-to-learn approach.
Lodging is not included in your registration fees and must be arranged directly with the hotel. If you need overnight accommodations, please contact any of the following hotels directly and be sure to mention you’re with NEPPA (or the appropriate code/account number) to receive the negotiated rate:
Courtyard by Marriott Littleton – King: $155/night + tax; Queen/Queen: $165/night + tax
102 Constitution Avenue
Littleton, MA 01460
(978) 440-5040 – If calling to make your reservation, be sure to mention either NEPPA or Northeast Public Power
Click here to make your reservation online using the Corporate Rate: BZL *** Due to COVID, please call the hotel directly.
Boxboro Regency Hotel & Conference Center – $99/night + tax
242 Adams Place
Boxboro, MA 01719
The Westford Regency Inn & Conference Center – $109/night + tax (with breakfast)
219 Littleton Road
Westford, MA 01886
Click here to make your reservation online using the Rate Access Code: NEPPA.
SpringHill Suites Devens Common Center – $129/night + tax
27 Andrews Parkway
Devens, MA 01434
Click here to make your reservation online.
Hilton Garden Inn Devens – $129/night + tax
59 Andrews Parkway
Devens, MA 01434
Click here to make your reservation online using the Group Code: BZL.