The Village of Morrisville Water & Light Department (MW&L) is a small, rural, not-for-profit municipal utility providing reliable water and sewer services in Morrisville and electric service to Morristown and to five of the surrounding Towns.
MW&L is seeking an individual to fill a 1st Class Line Maintainer union position opening in its Electric Operations group. This position is part of a 5-person line crew charged with maintaining and improving nearly 213 miles of distribution/transmission lines and works closely with all operation personnel to provide safe, affordable and reliable electric service to over 4,000 customers.
General Summary of Job Responsibilities: Under the general direction of the Line Foreman, the line maintainer, within their current level of experience and knowledge, will be responsible for building, maintaining and repairing overhead and underground power transmission and distribution lines in a safe and effective manner within the established guidelines of industry work practices utilizing rubber glove practices in all scenarios.
General Summary of Essential Job Functions:
- Installation and maintenance of underground and overhead distribution system.
- Working energized primary and secondary conductors up 15kV.
- Setting, framing and guying poles
- Respond to emergency/regular repair/maintenance of overhead and underground distribution lines
- Conduct switching and tagging operations on MW&L owned transmission equipment in concert with Green Mountain Power.
- Stringing and Sagging Conductors
- Mounting Equipment, setting transformers
- Transformer Connections, grounding equipment
- Tree Trimming
- Street Lighting
- Locating underground lines for Dig Safe
- Trouble shooting problems
- Working with safety and VOSHA requirements
- Maintaining training and safety skills through scheduled classes
- Any other duties assigned by Management
- Safely operate and maintain the MW&L operations fleet such as digger derricks, bucket trucks and other equipment used in the maintenance and repair of overhead and underground electrical lines.
- Climbing poles
- Installation and removal of banners
- Participation in a rotating on-call schedule
- Respond to requests, comments and/or complaints from customers in a professional manner.
- Cleaning and stocking line trucks
- Routine maintenance and cleaning of the garage/sub-stations and other yards
Qualifications and Basic Requirements:
- Candidates must have high school diploma or GED and must be a qualified 1st Class Line Maintainer.
- Qualified applicants must meet the physical demands of the position, including the ability to work in adverse weather conditions for extended hours.
- Proficient in safe rubber gloving techniques
- Knowledge of electric utility construction standards, National Electric Safety Code, and VOSHA/OSHA standards.
- Valid Class A Commercial Driver’s License or ability to obtain one within 60 days of employment.
- Must be available for on-call rotation schedules, emergency call outs and when weather conditions indicate a likelihood of service interruptions.
- Must pass a physical and drug test and once hired, must join the IBEW union membership after 6 months of employment.
MW&L is offering this non-exempt Union position with an hourly rate of $42.45 and the opportunity for over-time and on-call pay.
In addition, we offer an outstanding benefits package which includes: health, dental, holidays, sick time and training opportunities. Additionally, there are generous Paid-Time-Off and retirement benefits.
MW&L is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All new employees filling union positions are on probation for 6 months.
Position will remain open until filled – Mail or Email your resume and 3 references to:
Morrisville Water & Light Department
Attn: Kevin Newton, Superintendent
857 Elmore St. Morrisville, VT 05661