- General Summary:
Under direction of the Light Department Working Foreman(Line), responsible and accountable for the safe and efficient provision of electric services to the Town through overhead and underground distribution and transmission systems. Responsible for substation maintenance, meter readings and repairs/testing of related equipment. Requires a thorough knowledge of safety practices and must be able to exercise judgement and initiative in completing tasks. Work includes working on de-energized and energized lines utilizing rubber glove practices in all scenarios and keeping a harmonious work relationship with and among employees.
- Essential Job Functions*:
- Regularly works with primary wires independently with no direct supervision.
- Is proficient in underground and overhead line work.
- Employee serves as a fully skilled journeyman lineworker, with ability to work with, and assist, the foreman in developing new techniques and procedures. Must be capable of “trouble shooting” on the electrical system.
- Assists in the training and development of apprentices.
- Ensures the proper maintenance and upkeep of equipment, stock and vehicles.
- Setting, framing and guying poles.
- Conduct switching and tagging operations on HMLD electrical systems.
- Stringing and Sagging Conductors.
- Mounting Equipment, setting transformers.
- Transformer Connections, grounding equipment.
- Tree Trimming.
- Street Lighting.
- Locating underground lines for Dig Safe.
- Trouble shooting problems.
- Safety orientated individual following National Electric Safety Code, and OSHA standards.
- Will be required to participate in standby duty. 
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Must have at a minimum a High School, Trade School, or equivalent education. Duties require knowledge of electric distribution systems completion of four to five years experience in an electric utility, must be a qualified 1st class Journeyman Linemen for an electric utility, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of electrical theory, engineering, GIS, substations, single and polyphase metering, testing and environmental regulations.
- Thorough knowledge of electric system distribution/transmission systems and on-going knowledge of safety rules and regulations.
- Considerable knowledge of trouble shooting both single and poly phase distribution systems to include but limited to transformers, regulators, substations, metering, primary, secondary URD, overhead, etc.
- Considerable knowledge of the geography of the Town, location of underground distribution lines and other underground utilities.
- Thorough knowledge of the rules and regulations of the Light Department, Town policies and by-laws and State laws; leadership, supervision, judgment and decision-making abilities; ability to command the operations of personnel and equipment effectively and with good judgment under life threatening and other emergency conditions.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing to various and diverse groups and individuals.
- Demonstrates a “can-do” positive attitude, is a highly motivated team player, a self-starter, and must be courteous and respectful to our customers as well as co-workers at all time.
Must possess a Massachusetts Commercial Driver’s License and MA Hoisting License 1B, 2B, DOT , CPR and First Aid
- Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
- Must be able to perform all duties and responsibilities in a non-office environment with exposure to all types of weather conditions including severe weather.
- Walking, standing and climbing while performing duties, frequent physical effort demanded in working in cramped positions or on poles.
- Exposure to electrical hazards and extreme weather conditions during emergency situations.
- Occasional travel is required to attend meetings and conferences and to respond to emergencies.
- Must be physically able to physically work in field operations.
- Must be able to work nights, week-ends, and holidays, with extended hours during emergencies.
- Must be able to have regular attendance.
- Supervisory Duties Exercised:
- May be required to act as temporary Working Foreman (Line).
 While on standby duty shall remain within the Town or such close proximity to be able to report to the Town within 30 minutes of being contacted.
*The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
APPLICATIONS AVAILABLE: OFFICE OF TOWN MANAGER, 1204 MAIN STREET, HOLDEN, MA 01520
SEND RESUMES, COVER LETTERS AND APPLICATION TO:
OFFICE OF TOWN MANAGER, 1204 MAIN STREET, HOLDEN, MA 01520
Or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT TOWN MANAGER’S OFFICE
1204 MAIN STREET, HOLDEN MA 01520 (508) 210-5501
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
THE TOWN OF HOLDEN DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE AGAINST THE HANDICAPPED