Formed in 1902, HG&E is a municipally owned utility that provides electricity, natural gas, and fiber optic internet services to over 18,000 customers. Our mission to our customers is simple: “HG&E will provide competitive rates, innovative and sustainable energy solutions, reliable service, and excellent customer care.” We are currently looking for a qualified candidate to fill this vacancy.
Participate in a formal HG&E Lineman Apprenticeship training program based on current step in enrolled Apprenticeship program. Incumbent will progress through the program performing work in all phases of skilled manual and electrical work in both underground and overhead construction, installation, repair and maintenance of secondary and high voltage electrical distribution including all street light and other one-person duties up to 750 volts to ground; maintain records, logs, and work reports; performs applicable compliance work and preventive maintenance of all electrical facilities; follows system operation, safety policies and procedures. Responds to emergency calls and scheduled overtime work in order to maintain customer service and protect the public as required. Performs other related work as required. Any successful applicant, pursuant to this posting, will be required to assume any assignment to Troubleshooter duties upon completion of a minimum of six (6) months of HG&E distribution experience. Troubleshooter duties shall include up to one in every three week rotation on second shift. Perform other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS
• High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent.
• Valid Massachusetts Class B CDL license w/ability to obtain a CDL A in 6 months from date of hire.
• Able to climb poles/ladders, work in confined spaces, lift/transport up to 50 pounds, and work on elevated surfaces (i.e., aerial device, staging) for extended periods of time.
• Ability to read and update orders, blueprints and diagrams necessary to carry out tasks.
• Able to work required overtime as needed.
• Able to respond to emergency calls within 20 minutes.
• Regular and reliable attendance.
• Agree to the repayment of Training Costs for individuals who voluntarily leave the Department.
• Able to comply with Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Substance and Alcohol Testing Policy and Program
PREFERRED ENTRANCE QUALIFICATIONS (In addition to above)
• Knowledge of Electrical Theory.
• Successful completion of Lineman College.
• Utility rated lineman experience.
Successful candidate must have a valid driver’s license, a valid Massachusetts Class A CDL and/or Hoisting and Rigging 1A/2B licenses and must be able to pass a pre-employment physical, drug screening, and criminal background check. Position is subject to random drug tests. Starting pay is according to the Guild (Union) Contract. Posting closes on October 15th, 2021.
Send all materials to:
Holyoke Gas & Electric Department
Geisha I. Uroza
Holyoke Gas and Electric Department is an Equal Opportunity Employer. EEO/AA/M/F/D/V. Working safely is a condition of employment at HG&E.
No Phone Calls or Agencies please.