Reporting to the VP of Operations, the Broadband Outside Plant Manager will oversee the design and construction process of the fiber optic outside plant using best practices in design and construction for economic efficiency and long-term sustainability.
- Develop requests for bids and solicit bids from contractors for all phases of construction. Evaluate and select the best proposals. Investigate and vet potential contractors' past work history and ability to perform the work adequately.
- Evaluate and improve construction specifications and methods.
- Develop and manage work construction schedule to meet the goals of the projects. Work with NHEC staff to communicate construction goals and timelines.
- Promote safety to employees and contractors. Observe all safety rules. Maintain a safe working environment by adhering to policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Provides oversight of contractor relationships.
- Work with homeowners, business owners, and landowners on issues related to construction. Follow up to ensure issues are resolved.
- Assists in training contractors and employees on fiber construction specifications and methods.
- Work with drop and installation contractors and employees for scheduling and subscriber contacts to maximize customer satisfaction.
- Ensure state, county, and local permits are filed appropriately. Work with Engineering Department to request private ROW easements when required.
- Supports financial goals of NHEC by assisting with developing the annual operating budget for the broadband build and monitoring the budget to identify and document variances.
- Increases professional and technical knowledge by attending educational classes and seminars.
- The Broadband Outside Plant Manager shall be required to perform any other duties assigned to fulfill the objectives of the company.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent required. A Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering, Business, Construction, or Project Management is preferred. Courses in accounting, organizational development, and communications, business, or related field a plus.
- Prefer at least ten (10) years’ experience in fiber optic outside plant construction and/or project management.
- Must be able to plan and organize work to meet deadlines. Work is varied and requires a high degree of accuracy with attention to detail. Critical thinking and problem-solving abilities are critical. The ability to multi-task is imperative. Working as a team player and leadership ability is
- an essential function of this position. Interpersonal skills for interaction with staff, customers, contractors, and the general public are required. Must have general PC abilities including Microsoft Office and tablet operating skills. Must be able to operate and navigate electronic maps. GIS experience is encouraged for this position.
- Knowledge in fiber optic outside plant construction and fiber network topologies including GPON/XGS-PON utilizing taps and splitters. Knowledge of distributed tap and distributed split fiber architecture. Maintenance, repair, and emergency restoration method knowledge is required. A thorough understanding of construction maps, fiber optic networks, and splice diagrams.
- A combination of office conditions and outside fieldwork under a variety of weather conditions. Work will include travel throughout the statewide NHEC service area. Some travel to meetings required outside of normal workday. Some evening and weekend overtime may be required.
- Assistance with power and broadband restoration efforts is required of all employees. It may be required during regular business hours that employees will be assigned functions to support power restoration and for some employees that may be different from their normal duties. In addition, such assistance may require working nights, weekends and holidays which may involve considerable extra hours. To meet this working condition, all employees are required to provide a personal phone number where they may be reached after hours. This number will only be used for internal purposes.
Review of applications will begin on January 15, 2024, and will continue until the position has been filled, or otherwise closed. Please be prepared to provide a resume and cover letter to complete your application. Any application not containing a resume and cover letter will be considered incomplete.
NHEC views compensation in a holistic and transparent manner. We are committed to providing our employees with work-life balance, generous time off, comprehensive health and retirement benefits, and additional programs that enhance our employees and members lives. The salary range for this role is targeted at $120,000 - 145,000.
Headquartered in Plymouth, New Hampshire, NHEC is the largest member-owned electric cooperative in New England, providing electric utility service to consumers and businesses in 115 communities throughout New Hampshire. There are 220+ employees serving our members, which is at the heart of everything we do and every decision we make, and our mission is to provide our members access to affordable, reliable electric service options that support and simplify their lives. The electric utility industry is currently undergoing enormous change as consumers look for new ways to manage energy costs through renewable energy, distributed energy resources such as solar arrays and battery storage, energy efficiency, electric vehicles, and energy-related apps on smart devices.
There is much to be proud of in our existing organization, and a genuine enthusiasm for what the future holds. It is an environment in which individual leadership and initiative are highly valued and encouraged, and success is viewed as a shared accomplishment to be celebrated by all. Ensuring our members have the energy they need, the information they want, and a partner they can trust is what makes us different. We invite you to learn more about the impact you can have by exploring our website at www.nhec.com.
Exempt : Yes
Type : Full Time
Department : Operations
Location : HQ
Please visit our career page to apply! https://www.nhec.com/careers/#current-openings