Under the general direction of the SELCO General Manager, plans, directs and manages the financial and accounting systems for all SELCO business ventures, including accounts payable, cash, payroll, general ledger, customer accounting functions and staff.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Participates in developing organization long-range plans and in implementing corporate financial strategy. Performs financial reporting, financial planning and analysis, and corporate accounting. Oversees payroll, accounts payable, auditing, assets, insurance, customer accounting and staff.
- Compiles, develops, analyzes and presents an annual operational and capital budget for the long-term financial planning requirements of the organization and its business units.
- Regularly presents actual operating results against budgeted figures to the General Manager and Commission.
- Interviews applicants for available positions and recommends selection, promotion, discipline and related personnel actions. Provides for training and development of staff and ensures compliance with applicable accounting standards. Determines and recommends staffing and training needs of staff and recommends changes in status and compensation.
- Oversee the annual financial audit
- Performs revenue, expense, and cash flow analysis and forecasting.
- Responsible for establishing and achieving key performance indicators such as debt coverage ratios, cash reserve levels and rate of return.
- Complete reports for State and federal regulatory agencies.
- Supports rate studies conducted by cable and electric divisions.
- Analyzes and enhances department policies and procedures consistent with SELCO’s strategic direction.
- Provide decision support, monitoring, and review of major capital and expense projects as well as new business ventures, including analysis, financial impacts, accounting and controls, and funding.
- Review and oversee the implementation of all new GASB and FERC regulations.
- Administers electric and cable risk management insurance programs.
- Maintains and updates chart of accounts.
- Oversees proper FERC coding of all activity including labor, inventory, procurement and merchandising and jobbing. Suggests new policies and procedures to improve workflow and accuracy.
- Maintains and updates electric and cable asset databases.
- Evaluates, monitors and maintains proper control systems on the entire accounts receivable process.
- Communicates proper accounting procedures and methods to staff and responds to a variety of inquiries and requests related to accounting operations.
- Liaison with accounting software interface representatives to communicate department needs.
- Attend training opportunities and conferences to stay abreast of industry best practices.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Expert knowledge of regulations, codes, policies and procedures relevant to the department, division and/or to general public utility administration/management. Knowledge of FERC Uniform Systems of Accounts strongly preferred.
Ability to recognize organization-wide priorities and work cooperatively to support their accomplishment. Ability to conceptualize and operationalize goals, objectives and procedures for the department or division. Ability to analyze complex issues and to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs and recommendations. Ability to interact and maintain cooperative relationships with employees, customers, Commissioners, other Town Departments, legal counsel, regulatory agencies, other utility representatives, and members of the financial community.
Leadership, planning, management, organizational and supervisory skills. Expertise with MS Office and strong technical and accounting software skills are critical.
Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or related field required. Master’s Degree preferred. Seven (7) to ten (10) years of progressively responsible related experience, including at least three (3) years of management or supervisory experience.
CPA license desirable.
Supervises Accounting Coordinator, Staff Accountant, Payroll/Customer Accounting and part-time Accounts Payable person.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Work is performed under typical office conditions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to work at a desk; regularly convey information to employees and the public; regularly move about inside the office to access file cabinets and office machinery. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects weighing up to 25 pounds, such as supplies, folders, and books. Ability to operate a keyboard and calculator at efficient speed and to view computer screens for extended periods of time. Regularly operates computers, telephone, fax machine, and standard office machines.
Interacts frequently with vendors, customers, town employees, utilities, and Light Board and committee members. Communicates in person, by telephone, and via written material. Has access to division-related confidential information, which requires the application of appropriate judgment, discretion and professional protocols. Errors in administrative and technical decisions could result in lower standards of service, and have significant public relations repercussions. Attendance at evening meetings may be required.
Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
SELCO is an Equal Opportunity Employer.