Westfield Gas + Electric is seeking a full-time candidate who enjoys working in a dynamic environment to support the 24/7/365 operation of the Department’s Dispatch Center. The position involves actively monitoring digital telemetering panel boards to ensure various gas and electric distribution system operational characteristics are within accepted tolerances, and the adequate response to abnormal conditions. (Min. $34.66)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support WGE mission and vision of being competitive on price; providing unmatched safe, reliable, high quality, hassle-free service; and, providing added value to the community and the City as its locally owned and operated utility.
- Handle the daily incoming calls from customers and technicians as part of the field service automation and dispatch process along with work order management.
- Support customer satisfaction initiatives and processes by promoting an environment that promotes timely communication and teamwork.
- Handle customer calls and complaints in a calm and professional manner and direct them to appropriate personnel.
- Support use of technicians’ mobile field technology
- Use GPS system in conjunction with field services automation to optimize field workforce efficiency and ensure safety of crews.
- Receive information regarding specific locations and situations that need corrective action and accurately dispatch to appropriate personnel.
- Operate computer, radio, and telephone systems to receive and send messages in a professional manner.
- Maintain proper records and logs and perform related clerical work.
- Locate distribution system problems on system prints and recommend corrective action.
- Know and understand Convex switching procedures, draft and review electric switching orders.
- Know and understand substation relay systems and switching procedures.
- Direct field switching.
- Know and understand a SCADA computer system for the purpose of monitoring distribution systems and remotely operating department equipment as required.
- High level of comfort with computer applications such as Microsoft Office Suite, AutoCad and GIS.
- Handle related receptionist work duties in welcoming and directing outside visitors into secure facility and monitor security systems to ensure safety of all facilities and occupants.
QUALIFICATIONS AND ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS
- Education: Associate Degree preferred but not required and/or comparable industry experience required.
- Experience and proven skills at being the customer advocate.
- Skilled at working well under time pressure with the ability to multi-task and professionally handle conflict.
- Ability to work rotating shifts and be available for short notice overtime or emergency to ensure coverage on a 24/7 basis.
- Strong time management, organization and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to learn and understand technical terms as well as understanding of basic electricity and basic math.
- Aptitude for navigating computer software.
- Demonstrated logistical support to field operations team – field force dispatch.
- Ability to support customer data, maps, site information.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skill
- Successful completion of an entry level electrical course or ability to complete within 9 months after appointment has been made.
- Ability to read and write English and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to understand operating logs, records, and terms.
- Must qualify as Convex switcher within six (6) months after appointment.
- Must be Operator Qualified according to DOT standards within (3) months after appointment.
Possess knowledge in the electric, gas and telecommunications Transmission & Distribution field and have a thorough knowledge of Transmission & Distribution systems, including monitor and control of the distribution systems including substations, overhead and underground lines, gas and telecommunications distribution systems.
This position requires working a 12-hour rotating shift (with only one operator on at a time), including nights, weekends, holidays, and short notice overtime due to unscheduled absences or significant events that impact the distribution systems, including weather.
Eligible candidates must have a valid driver’s license and pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol test and a Criminal Offender Record Inquiry (CORI) with the State of Massachusetts.
A very generous benefit package accompanies job offer, although relocation services are not provided. Qualified candidates are requested to submit an application found online and attach any other relevant documents by Monday, October 30, 2023. Please, no phone calls.