Title: ELECTRIC MAINTENANCE WORKER APPRENTICE (2nd Class)
Summary of Duties: Under the direct supervision of the Electric Maintenance Supervisor, the responsibility of the Electric Maintenance Worker Apprentice (2nd Class) is to learn all tasks associated with monitoring the transmission and distribution of electricity into and from the Town's substations. The Electric Maintenance Worker Apprentice performs routine maintenance work in the substations and on MMED grounds. Works long hours as required during emergencies. Also has ability to deal with the public in a kind and courteous manner in both routine and emergency situations.
Supervision Received: Works under direct supervision of the Electric Maintenance Supervisor.
Supervision Exercised: None
Recommended Minimum Qualifications:
Education: High School diploma or equivalency.
Experience: A highly qualified candidate should have working familiarity with equipment within electric substations, operational familiarity with station switching and tagging procedures, and the ability to interface with SCADA systems.
Licenses/Certificates: Must have a valid Massachusetts Hoisting Engineer License with minimum 1C and 2B certifications. Must have a Massachusetts Class B CDL driver’s license.
Knowledge/Abilities/Skills: Must exhibit the ability to perform electric switching operations in substations. Computer skills with word processing and spreadsheets are required. Ability to understand SCADA based computer software required. Must possess mechanical skills for performance of routine maintenance tasks. Able to move or lift items (25 lbs. of less) regularly; (50 lbs. or less) frequently, and heavy items (100 lbs. or less) occasionally. Tasks include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Monitors loads on transmission lines and distribution circuits in the MMED owned substations. Follows standard operating procedures to ensure work is safely performed on the transmission and distribution lines.
- Manually opens and closes electric switchboard circuit breakers in MMED owned substations at voltages up to 115,000 volts.
- Interfaces with computer-based SCADA system to monitor transmission and distribution circuits.
- Records trouble cal1s, station activities, and prepares reports for the MMED.
- Performs data entry activities into Town GIS system
- As a liaison for MMED with the public, answers calls during normal and off hour emergency situations.
- Monitors all MMED communications. Relays messages between crews in the field.
- Performs routine maintenance work in substations. Performs snow removal and yard maintenance when required.
- Performs routine buildings and grounds maintenance in MMED facilities.
- Monitors and assists in the operation of test equipment.
- Communicates with customers in a courteous manner in routine and emergency situations and interacts with Emergency Response personnel during events that involve MMED.
- Works with all Standby Electric Maintenance Workers in performance of station work and associated duties.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Preferred Qualification: Due to emergency situations that may occur after hours, applicant should live within 20 minute commute of the Town of Mansfield.
Shift and Days Off: Monday - Friday, 7:00am-3:00pm, with weekends on call and emergency situations.
Starting Salary: This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement. The starting salary range for a qualified Electric Maintenance Worker Apprentice 2nd Class for FY2021 is $32.88 – $34.21 per hour.
A more comprehensive understanding of the job duties is available within the job description – Electric Maintenance Worker Apprentice 2nd class. A copy of which is available at www.mansfieldelectric.com under the "Careers" tab on the 'Home' page.
Please submit a letter of interest, resume or other document indicating your qualifications to Laurie Anderson, Office Administrator, via email at email@example.com or 125 High Street; Unit # 1; Mansfield, MA 02048 before 3:00pm on Wednesday, June 02, 2021.
Mansfield Municipal Electric Department is an equal opportunity employer.