First Class, Second Class, Third Class or Apprentice Lineworker Position
The Paxton Municipal Light Department (PMLD), a small municipal electric utility company within Central MA., is seeking one new Lineworker for our 4-man team. Although qualified First Class Lineworker applicants are preferred, PMLD will consider well-qualified Second Class and Third Class Lineworker or Apprentice applicants to construct, build, and maintain all phases of overhead and underground high-voltage electrical distribution systems. This position will perform work on live secondary conductors and equipment, up to 600 volts and working live primary conductors and equipment, at 13,800 volts, while providing safe, continuous distribution service to the customers of the Department.
First Class Position Responsibilities:
- Performs, under limited supervision, all work related to the construction, operation, and maintenance of the distribution electric system.
- Responsible for maintaining work performance and safe work practices for self and others working under this direction.
- Performs necessary work required for service restoration under storm or emergency conditions.
- Maintain records, logs, and work reports of daily and off-hours work.
- Performs switching operations under general supervision.
- Locates, diagnoses, and repairs fault conditions on the electric distribution system.
- Performs construction work in accordance with safety procedures from work orders and drawings.
- Serves on after-hours On Call and during emergency restoration.
- Must have Class B License and 1B Hoisting License.
Second Class Position Responsibilities: Uses and applies practical knowledge gained from 2-3 years of lineworker experience in a lower class.
- Performs, under close or direct supervision, the following:
- Assists Lineworker in placing rubber protective equipment on all apparatus and conductors energized at primary voltages.
- Assists Lineworker in work on energized primaries related to the construction, operation, and maintenance of distribution of electric system.
- Assists Lineworker in installation of line construction material and apparatus. Installs working grounds, checks circuit potential and phase rotation, etc. under direct
- Assists Lineworker in work on all system voltages and operations including connections, splicing, switching, installation of transformers and related equipment and other similar work on energized primaries.
- Interprets work orders, diagrams, and prints.
- Acquires working knowledge and understanding of all transformer, regulator and capacitor connections, standards, and their principles or operation.
- Has thorough knowledge and understanding of rescue procedures and cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Is certified in application of first aid.
- Must have Class B License and 1B Hoisting License.
Apprentice Position Responsibilities:
- Participates in a formal forty-eight (48) month Lineworker Apprentice Program administered by the Northeast Public Power Association with the goal of completing the program within the time allotted to progress to First Class Lineworker status.
- Serves as an apprentice member in a team effort to construct, install and maintain underground and overhead lines, transformers, and associated equipment.
- Develops skills necessary to operate a variety of electrical construction equipment and vehicles.
- Successfully obtains a Massachusetts 1B Hoisting License.
- Develops skills necessary for compliance with environmental regulations and procedures, including but not limited to spill reporting and response, waste management, oil spill prevention, transportation of hazardous materials and waste.
- Maintains records, logs, and work reports of daily and off-hour work.
- Works required overtime as needed and be available for emergency call-in.
- The Apprentice position begins with a probationary period and is based upon successful completion. Thereafter, a mandatory evaluation by the General Foreman and General Manager will determine if the candidate has the attitude and aptitude to move forward into the Apprentice Lineworker program. The Apprentice Lineworker program involves a multi-year commitment to PMLD, due to the cost of the program, which takes place one week per quarter for four (4) years. Preference will be given to those who have: some experience, a CDL A license and/or the ability to demonstrate electrical knowledge through technical schooling or prior experience. Excellent references required to attest to attitude, conduct, work ethic, and work habits.
Physical and Mental Requirements:
First/Second Class/Apprentice Lineworker must be able to: work easily and skillfully with hands; climb and maintain balance on ladders, utility poles and in other elevated positions; see well (naturally or with correction) and to distinguish colors; reach for and handle and grasp wires and hand tools; bend, crouch and work in small spaces; coordinate the use of eyes and hands or fingers and lift and carry objects weighing up to fifty (50) pounds. Must have the ability to work in extreme weather conditions, to work effectively and safely under pressure, and in stressful situations. Must be available for emergency call-in which can be any time of day, any day of the year.
- Education: Four-year high school diploma or equivalent.
- Possess a Class-B or Class-A CDL Massachusetts motor vehicle operator's license.
- Must obtain a Massachusetts 1B Hoisting license within 12 months of employment.
- Must work required overtime as needed.
- Must live within a reasonable driving distance and be able to report to work within 30 minutes as defined in the Union contract.
Job Knowledge/Skills Required:
- Position requires incumbent to drive commercial vehicles, pass and maintain a Department of Transportation (DOT) physical. Random drug/alcohol testing is required.
- Position requires the incumbent to possess knowledge of safety rules/codes and work practices.
- Must communicate in a professional and courteous manner with customers, as a public relations representative of the Department and display an excellent attitude, conduct, work ethic, and work habits
- Proven experience working as a team and track record of supporting strategic company initiatives.
This is a full-time position with excellent benefits including a Massachusetts Public Employee Pension Plan. Qualified candidates can apply for this position by submitting a cover letter and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org , Tara Rondeau at Paxton Municipal Light Department.