Title: EXPERIENCED LINEWORKER (1st Class preferred)
MMED is seeking to hire an experienced (1st Class) Line worker to join our Line Operations staff. Although 1st Class certification is preferred, MMED may consider a well experienced but lower qualified Line worker (2nd Class / 3rd Class / Apprentices)
Summary of Duties: Performs all levels of line work at voltages up to 15,000 volts in the safe and efficient construction, maintenance, and repair of the overhead and underground electric distribution system. Works long hours as required during emergencies. Also has ability to deal with the public in a kind and courteous manner in both routine and emergency situations.
Supervision Received: Works under the direction of the Line Supervisor, Assistant Line Supervisor, Lead Lineworker, and Lineworker 1st Class.
Supervision Exercised: None
Education: High school diploma or equivalency required.
Experience: Minimum of three years proven satisfactory experience in lower lineman classifications and completion of the NEPPA Apprentice Line School or equivalent in order to qualify for progression to First Class Lineworker. Must provide proof of educational training hours and practical work experience.
Licenses/Certificates: Massachusetts Class B CDL, Massachusetts Hoisting Engineer License with minimum 1C certification.
Knowledge/Abilities/Skills: Must exhibit technical skills to demonstrate capability to perform work in a safe and efficient manner. Strong communications skills required. Must possess troubleshooting skills to determine cause of system problems. Such tasks include but not limited to the following;
- Installation and maintenance of underground and overhead distribution system.
- Working energized conductors (primary and secondary)
- Setting, framing and guying poles
- Respond to emergency/regular repair/maintenance of overhead and underground distribution lines
- Conduct switching and tagging operations
- Stringing and Sagging Conductors
- Mounting Equipment, setting transformers
- Transformer Connections, grounding equipment
- Tree Trimming
- Street Lighting
- Locating underground lines for Dig Safe
- Trouble shooting problems
- Working with safety and OSHA requirements
- Maintaining training and safety skills through scheduled classes
- Safely operate and maintain the operations fleet such as digger derricks, bucket trucks and excavators used in the maintenance and repair of overhead and underground electrical lines.
- Climbing poles
- Installation and removal of banners
- Participation in a rotating on-call schedule
- Cleaning and stocking line trucks
- Routine maintenance and cleaning of the garage/sub-stations and other yards
- Respond to requests, comments and/or complaints from customers in a professional manner
- Other assigned duties by Management
Preferred Qualification: Due to emergency situations that may occur after hours, applicant should live within 20 minute commute of the Town of Mansfield.
Shift and Days Off: Monday - Friday, 7:00am-3:00pm, with weekends on call and emergency situations.
Starting Salary: This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement. The starting salary range for a qualified 1st Class Lineworker is $44.66/hour to $47.49/hour. Job classification will be determined upon hiring.
A more comprehensive understanding of the job duties is available within the job description – First Class Lineworker. A copy of which is available upon request.
Please submit a letter of interest, resume or other document indicating your qualifications to Laurie Anderson, Office Administrator, Mansfield Municipal Electric Department, 125 High St # 1; Mansfield, MA 02048 before 3:00pm on Friday, July 30, 2021.
Mansfield Municipal Electric Department is an equal opportunity employer.