The TMLP is seeking a Financial Manager. This is a management position reporting to the Office of the General Manager. This position is responsible for TMLP’s financial performance along with established policies, procedures, objectives and budgets. This position provides administrative and technical oversight for the Accounting, and Purchasing Department activities. The position is responsible for the delegation and performance of all duties required to operate the aforementioned groups. Wages will be based on experience and qualifications.
Duties of the Position
- Responsible for coordinating all aspects of TMLP’s overall financial planning and reporting activities in the development of an integrated annual and long range financial plan which enables TMLP to meet all of its legal and contractual financial obligations.
- Review and develop financial policies and procedures. Develop financial plans for meeting operating and maintenance and capital needs. Develops and directs a multi-year formulation and analysis of the capital budget and prioritize projects for capital improvement projects.
- Maintain relationships and coordinate with public authorities, financial organizations, independent auditors and other providers of services and information, as required to fulfill the duties of the office.
- Perform complex budgeting and accounting functions; conducts financial, statistical, and analytical studies.
- Monitor the financial performance of TMLP and offer recommendations for improvement.
- Develop plans for investing funds including reserve and trust funds. Ensuring all investment and financial activities are compliant with industry law.
- Oversee the implementation of the Operation & Maintenance Budget and the Capital Budget. Conduct monthly budget analysis and review with the Department Heads. Review cash flow projections for budgetary needs.
- Evaluate insurance needs, participation with PURMA and Mass. Municipal Self Insurance Fund. Perform risk mitigation analysis.
- Oversee financial reporting. Oversee accounting activities and ensure all accounting records are maintained in accordance with all procedures and regulations. Maintain familiarity with TMLP policies, procedures and FERC system of accounts.
- Seek out new business opportunities and evaluate their potential as possible endeavors which will enhance Taunton Municipal Lighting Plant (TMLP) services to its customers and / or improve system efficiency consistent with the TMLP mission statement. Assist in the development, execution and tracking of strategic plans to maintain a competitive edge for TMLP in the marketplace.
- Serve as trustee on TMLP Sick Leave Trust and other Trusts as required. Act as Plan Administrator for the 457 and 401A plans. Coordinate benefits for retiring employees to ensure unused sick leave benefits flow through 401A as required by TMLP’s bargaining agreements. Also responsible for coordination and administration of annuity activities related to sick leave payouts.
- Coordinate audit activities to ensure independent auditors have needed records and information. Review audit reports with auditor and take corrective action. Provide for security of the utility assets by developing and using internal control and audit procedures.
- Manage and supervise supply chain activities and programs of the Central Purchasing Group in accordance with established policies, procedures, objectives and budgets including but not limited to purchasing and contracting for materials, services, equipment, tools and supplies needed for the efficient utility operation. Oversight of all Purchasing activities and management of Purchasing Group personnel. Oversee negotiation with vendors to arrive at acceptable contract terms to mitigate risk exposures.
- Under the direction of the General Manager in matters of policy and procedure, consult with all management utilizing the TMLP procurement system, making recommendations for improving effectiveness of policies and practices, implementing new systems and procedures to assure optimization of central procurement operations. Act within scope of authority and consistent with company objectives, guidelines, policies and practices in providing an efficient and cost effective procurement operation.
- Direct the preparation of purchase orders, master price agreements, multi-year contracts and other related procurement documents and forms. Review purchase requisitions for content, completeness and accuracy. Interpret purchasing policies and procedures while directing the formal bid process. Analyze detailed purchasing transactions and identify and resolve complicated procurement problems.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
A Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Economics or related discipline is required. A Post-Graduate Degree in Business, Accounting or Finance; Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Management Accountant (CMA), Massachusetts Certified Public Procurement Official (MCPPO) is preferred. Minimum 10 years of related utility management experience is required. A minimum of 7 years supervisory experience is preferred.
Excellent organizational, oral and written communications skills are required. The successful candidate must have demonstrated a proven track record of utility administration, excellent customer service and interpersonal skills. Knowledge of municipal and electric utility finance, business operations, practices, and policies. Applicants must have demonstrated conflict resolution ability. The successful candidate is required to carry a cell phone 24 hours per day, seven days per week. Valid Driver’s License is required.
Salary Range is $135,000+ commensurate with experience. This position will remain open until filled.
Please forward resumes and cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org.