OPEN DATE: 9/17/2021 CLOSE DATE: Until Filled DEPARTMENT: Holden Municipal Light Department JOB TITLE: Forestry Apprentice/Forestry Specialist/Senior Forestry Specialist SALARY RANGE: $19.74-$26.13/hour (based on qualifications and experience) HOURS: 40 Hours/week BENEFITS: VACATION - two weeks after 1 year of continuous service depending on how many weeks worked in previous calendar year; three weeks after five years; four weeks after ten years; five weeks after twenty years. Vacation is earned on the anniversary date of the first year of employment and thereafter is credited as of January 1. SICK LEAVE: After six months you will accumulate 6 days and will be credited with 1 day per month thereafter to a maximum of 180 days. PERSONAL DAYS: 3 days per fiscal year commencing after six months of employment. Worcester Regional Retirement System; Health Insurance and Life Insurance available; HOLIDAYS: 11 paid holidays per year. REPORTS TO: Light Department Forestry Foreman SUBJECT TO: Successful completion of pre-employment physical; Drug/alcohol screening required. New employees 1-year probationary period.
- Essential Job Functions*:
- Assists Forestry Foreman/Tree Warden in maintaining Holden’s primary and secondary utility lines ,town trees, and trimming of grounds, including removal and replanting of trees.
- Maintains forestry equipment and facilities. Operates a variety of hand and power tools, equipment and vehicles including chippers, chainsaws, hydraulic pruners, bucket trucks.
- Utilize roping and rigging equipment while assisting the Forestry Foreman with climbing operations.
- Assist line crews with digging, conduit installation, clean up, etc.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Demonstrates a “can-do” positive attitude, is a highly motivated team player, a self-starter, and must be courteous and respectful to our customers as well as co-workers at all time.
- Full compliance with NESC, OSHA, DOT and HMLD safety procedures is required.
- Minimum Qualifications:
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Possess or obtain a Class B Commercial Driver’s License (with air brake endorsement) within a year.
- Possess or obtain a Massachusetts hydraulic license (1B & 2B) within a year.
- Possess or obtain EHAP certification within a year.
- Desired Qualifications:
- Experience in the forestry field/tree climbing, utility pruning.
- Certified Arborist.
- MA Pesticide Spray Lic.
- Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
- Must be able to perform all duties and responsibilities in a non-office environment with exposure to all types of weather conditions including severe weather.
- Walking, standing and climbing while performing duties, frequent physical effort demanded in working in cramped positions or on poles.
- Exposure to electrical hazards and extreme weather conditions during emergency situations.
- Occasional travel is required to attend meetings and conferences and to respond to emergencies.
- Must be physically able to physically work in field operations.
- Must be able to work nights, week-ends, and holidays, with extended hours during emergencies.
- Must be able to have regular attendance.
*The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
APPLICATIONS AVAILABLE: OFFICE OF TOWN MANAGER, 1204 MAIN STREET, HOLDEN, MA 01520
SEND RESUMES, COVER LETTERS AND APPLICATION TO:
OFFICE OF TOWN MANAGER, 1204 MAIN STREET, HOLDEN, MA 01520
Or via email at email@example.com.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT TOWN MANAGER’S OFFICE
1204 MAIN STREET, HOLDEN MA 01520 (508) 210-5501
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
THE TOWN OF HOLDEN DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE AGAINST THE HANDICAPPED