Hudson Municipal Light Board
MORE INFO: https://www.hudsonlight.com/
Refer all inquiries to:
Managing Director, Boston
Mobile: +1(617) 671-5368
Mobile: +1(908) 392-0222
Hudson Light and Power Department is a community-owned municipal utility that services over 13,000 residential and business customers in Hudson and Stow, MA, and parts of surrounding communities, providing reliable, efficient, and cost-effective power.
It is our mission is to provide our communities with the most economical, reliable, and environmentally responsible power possible. Our rates remain among the lowest in the state.
The General Manager of Hudson Light and Power Department will be entrusted with overseeing all aspects of the operation, including generation, transmission, distribution, financial management, customer service, managing contracts, personnel management, and strategic planning. This position has direct responsibility for all aspects of the Department including administrative, power supply and wholesale market matters, and the support of engineering and operations. This individual will be working in accordance with the strategic direction developed by the elected three-person Hudson Municipal Light Board. In addition, the General Manager supervises the Operations Manager, Distribution Superintendent, Power Station Superintendent, and the Financials Business Manager. This person will supervise the operation of all systems in the field and monitor systems for adverse conditions. This position will handle all capital project planning: developing and maintaining a Five-Year Capital Spending Plan. Managing the engineering projects through the Operations Manager. Prioritize capital spending and associated projects.
This position works independently, determines long range, strategic direction of the functional area within confines of overall strategic plan, influences action at a senior level. The position is responsible for planning and managing, directly and through members of the Board, and programs development and implementation.
• Manage day-to-to operations in accordance with the strategic direction developed by the elected Board.
• Be involved in promoting public power through MEAM, NEPPA, APPA.
• Maintain appropriate financial stewardship with honesty and transparency and subject all decisions to an annual independent third-party audit to ensure compliance with law and General Accounting Standards Board requirements.
• Be available 24x7 for emergency situations; make decisions in the best interest of the Hudson Light and Power Department.
• Engineering – Monitor systems, proactively address issues, plan for future upgrades, supervise operation of all systems in the field, and calculate proper capacity/protection/loading for efficient operation now and in the future.
• Operations – Oversee distribution and metering, transmission, generation, equipment, and inventory.
• Contracts – Manage all contractual relationships with 3rd parties, including but not limited to, union, technology, financial, insurance, and industry groups (ENE, NEPPA, APPA, etc.).
• Capital Project Planning – Develop, maintain, and execute on a 5-year capital spending plan, including project identification, prioritization, and budgeting to meet future increased power needs of customer base.
• Financial Management – Oversee all finances of the organization, including management of P&L, balance sheet, cash and assets, rates, and inventory (both ordering and auditing).
• Power Supply and Wholesale Markets – Ensure appropriate power supply through managing participation in relevant demand, capacity, transmission, and generation markets.
• Customer Service – Ensure high quality levels of customer service through all channels (in-person, phone, online), manage rebate programs, and oversee all critical technology/software for customer communication and service.
• Employees/Personnel – Oversee all people-related functions, including hiring, training, scheduling, safety, performance reviews, etc.
• Board Support – Support Hudson Municipal Light Board through monthly public meetings, including presentation of data and recommendations related to capital project, rate changes, and overall strategic direction.
• Seabrook Nuclear Power Plant – Support SNPP as a joint-owner, including attending quarterly meetings and providing review, commentary, and approval of strategic plans, budgets, capital spending, and other key issues.
• Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Minimum 10 years of experience in electric utilities, including underground, overhead, substations, and advanced metering and network automation systems.
• Proven team leadership and ability to delegate while ensuring safe and effective completion of projects.
• Thorough knowledge of electric system distribution/ metering/ transmission/ generation systems and on-going knowledge of safety rules and regulations.
• Effective utility administration, budget development and personnel management.
• Knowledge of GIS and applicable software packages.
• Knowledge of OSHA and related distribution construction standards.
• Minimum of 5 years supervisory experience.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to effectively deal with all levels of personnel within the organization and the general public.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, and Network systems.
• Accuracy, detail oriented, and superior organizational skills.
• Understanding the Business - knows the business and the mission-critical technical and functional skills needed to do the job; understands various types of business propositions and understands how businesses operate in general; learns new methods and technologies easily.
• Making Complex Decisions - can solve even the toughest and most complex of problems; great at gleaning meaning from whatever data is available; is a quick study of the new and different; adds personal wisdom and experience to come to the best conclusion and solution, given the
situation; uses multiple problem-solving tools and techniques. Owns problems and finds solutions.
• Dealing with Ambiguity – knows the black and white of numbers, finance and accounting and can balance this with the grey when thinking about business, opportunities, problems, and solutions.
• Getting Organized - is well organized and resourceful; effective and efficient at marshalling multiple resources to get things done; lays out tasks in sufficient detail to mark the trail; can get things done with less and in less time; can work on multiple tasks at once without losing track; foresees and plans around obstacles.
• Focusing on Action and Outcomes - attacks everything with drive and energy with an eye on the bottom line; not afraid to initiate action before all the facts are known; drives to finish everything he/she starts. Set to move at a very high pace and adept at leading teams through constant change.
• Being Organizationally Savvy - maneuvers well to get things done; maze bright; knows where to go to get what he/she needs; politically aware and agile; knows the right thing to do; presents views and arguments well.
• Inspiring Others - skilled at getting individuals, teams, and an entire organization to perform at a higher level and to embrace change; communicates in a compelling vision and is committed to what needs to be done; inspires others; builds motivated, high-performing teams; understands
what motivates different people. An executive presence with a level of gravitas that garners respect, admiration and support of their team and their peers.
• Acting with Ethics, Honor and Character - is a person of high character; is consistent and acts in line with a clear and visible set of values and beliefs; deals and talks straight; walks his/her talk; is direct and truthful but at the same time can keep confidences. Compliance with the highest
ethical standards is critical.
• Being Open and Receptive - at ease and relaxed; easy to talk to and get to know; listens attentively; is an open book; has a positive sense of humor; deals calmly with stress and gives people a chance to catch up. Excellent communication and relationship building skills with ability to prioritize, negotiate and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
• The person:
- Practical, pragmatic, driven and resilient with high emotional intelligence.
- Confident, ambitious, highly professional and visible, able to interact easily at all levels.
- Positive, dynamic, enthusiastic; capable of maintaining a high level of energy and team spirit, high learning agility. Good listener.