Position Title: General Manager, Operations
Reports To: Director of Utilities
Salary: $150,000 - $165,000
The General Manager, Operations, is accountable for managing full scope of day-to-day operations for the Electric, Water, and Wastewater Divisions of the Utility. The General Manager Operations must stay abreast of industry trends and technology, coaches, and mentors valued and empowered staff, builds relationships with relevant entities and governmental agencies, ensures fiscal responsibility and places a high priority on customer service throughout the organization and externally. This individual supervises, develops and implements programs along with standardizing organizational policies and reports major activities to executive level administrators through meetings, conferences and reports. The General Manager Operations reports to the Director of Utilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategic Planning and Operations Management
- Develop and implement business plans that align with company goals and overall strategic vision.
- Develop and regularly monitor appropriate performance metrics, financial forecasts, and other metrics to evaluate operations and identify areas for improvement.
- Prepare and implement annual operating budgets in accordance with principles of prudent financial management.
- Research, develop, and implement policies and practices to improve operational efficiencies, reduce costs, and fulfill client expectations.
- Oversee all staff and operations on a day-to-day basis.
- Monitor and regularly evaluate existing processes to identify areas for improvement.
- Promote a healthy and safe work environment in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations in all day-to-day operations, as well as adherence to existing policies and procedures.
- Ensure adherence with operating budgets.
- Reports or presents to the City Council on an “as needed” basis in support of on-going projects, information and updates regarding issues of joint concern throughout the daily functions of a thriving Utility Division delivering safe and clean drinking water to the City and surrounding areas. Provides for ongoing, cooperative and productive liaison with the City Commissioners, Mayor and Council, State and Federal Regulatory Agencies, Federal legislators and Department Staff.
Leadership and Human Resource Management
- Lead the management team and hold managers accountable for team performance.
- Motivate employees, and set appropriate individual, and team performance targets.
- Conduct performance appraisals for direct reports and provide timely and relevant feedback.
- Ensure the presence of relevant training and development opportunities to address existing gaps.
- Coach and mentor direct reports to promote professional development and drive team and company performance.
- Oversee staff hiring and participate in the interviewing process as necessary.
- Promote effective communications at all levels of the company by holding regular employee meetings and ensuring timely dissemination of relevant information.
- Promote excellent working relationship with union leadership and be proactive in addressing and resolving concerns.
Relationship Development and Management
- Monitor competitors to identify industry trends and new business opportunities.
- Identify and pursue new business opportunities.
- Liaise and develop relationships with prospective clients.
- Cultivate business relationships with existing clients.
Bachelor’s degree or college diploma from an accredited college/university in a related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Seven years of progressive experience in electric, water and wastewater distribution or combinations of similar experience. Must maintain and possess a valid driver license. Must maintain membership in local and national work-related associations – NEPPA, APPA, AWWA, NEWEA, etc.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 7–10 years of progressive management experience in the industry.
- Thorough knowledge of the industry, including electric, water and wastewater.
- Proven Project Management experience.
- Professional Engineer desirable but not required.
- Proven experience in budget and financial management.
- Successful track record of goal setting and achievement.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate diverse teams.
- Solid understanding of coaching management techniques.
- Ability to manage in a union environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Ability to engage and motivate a diverse team of employees.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to successfully manage multiple competing priorities.
- Outstanding analytical, problem-solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Proven organizational and time management skills.