Group: Retail Job Grade: 53 Revision Date: 3/8/17 Reviewed By: Work Location: 230 Ash St Office Union: Y☒ N☐ IBEW Local 103 FLSA: Exempt ☒ Non-Exempt ☐
This Position Description presents illustrative work activities usually encountered by personnel filling this position. It is not meant to list all possible work activities in all possible work conditions. It is also not meant to define specific limits on work activities that may be performed by any person holding this position. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of management to assign, direct and control the work of employees under supervision. Position descriptions may occasionally be changed to allow the RMLD to better meet the needs of the customers, reflect applicable laws and regulations, or otherwise implement Commission policies. All non-bargaining unit RMLD workers are “employees at will.”
Integrated Resource Engineer II will act as the point of contact for commercial, industrial and municipal customers pertaining to, but not limited to billing, rates, metering, power quality, renewable technologies, demand and energy programs and services. This position will focus on integrated energy solutions that address the capability, capacity and optimization of the electric system with a goal of targeting the reduction of customer peak demand and lowering customer costs through offerings such as energy efficiency recommendations/rebates, demand response, behind the meter generation/storage which could include renewable energy and/or traditional fossil fuel for all class customers. In addition, this position will focus on economic development for the attraction and retention of new/existing commercial/industrial customers to RMLD service territory and perform technical and financial analysis on the benefits of implementing new technologies and procedures. Establishes and maintains confidentiality at all times.
Illustrative Work Activities:
Essential work activities, pursuant to the Americans with Disability Act, may include the following: Other related duties may be assigned.
- Promotes appropriate and applicable programs/services to commercial customers to meet demand and energy reduction goals that benefit the customer as well as supports the optimization of the electric system and power supply portfolio.
- Develops and executes strategies that create “win-win” situations that will achieve RMLD’s reliability and financial goals while providing attractive, cost-effective customer outcomes that will encourage broad based customer adoption of programs/services.
- Works directly with commercial customers to develop work plan to achieve efficiency goals using a comprehensive understanding of commercial building components such as lighting, HVAC, heating, pumping systems, etc.
- Works with energy models such as DOE II.
- Performs various complex economic analysis, including cost benefit analysis.
- Ensures ISO-New England rule compliance relating to job duties.
- Develops, evaluates and updates, as required, current residential rebate programs essential to optimizing the efficiency of the program. Assists in the training of Customer Service Specialists or other company employees, Boards, etc. on the program, as requested.
- Designs, develops, and implements business retention, expansion, and targeted outreach programs. Participate in long range planning and recommend economic development goals and programs. through the development of said plans for integration.
- Evaluates programs through data collection and analysis; reports on the evaluation including the cost-benefit of programs.
- Develops and maintains demand response and distributed generation initiatives.
- Develops and maintains database for commercial customers including detailed customer profiles.
- Provides RMLD management with market and customer input to support the development and implementation of long-term strategic business plans for meeting RMLD’s reliability and financial goals.
- Multi-task and leads cross-functional project teams and perform project management functions.
- Performs commercial audits to integrate efficiency measures for both the customer and the electric system. Generates auditing reports including prioritization, funding schedules, etc.
- Maintains applicable knowledge of electrical distribution system overall functional capabilities and integrated smart technology. Initiates dialogue on system reliability upgrades that could or would directly impact system energy efficiency measures.
- Seeks out grants, tax incentives, rebates availability and assesses financial programs to support the funding of the recommended energy related measures on an ongoing basis.
- Assists Director of Integrated Resources with utility accounting annual budget. Provides reports and presentations.
- Represents RMLD in electric industry and trade organizations to increase customer or industry related knowledge and promote positive business relationship.
- Demonstrated understanding of the wholesale aspect of Integrated Resources Division.
BS in Mechanical, Electrical or Utility Engineering or related B.S. discipline as determined by the RMLD. Course work in Business Administration, Business Management, preferred.
Minimum 3-5 years of experience as an engineer working with efficiency measures for key accounts for a technical organization, with ability to perform complex technical and financial analysis on the benefits of implementing new technologies and procedures. Utility industry experience preferred. Minimum 1-3 years of experience in performing commercial auditing for efficiency integration and reporting. Minimum 1-3 years of project management, budget preparation and cost control. Familiar with up-to-date lighting technologies, HVAC systems and components, motor and energy technologies is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Specific and demonstrated knowledge of distribution engineering fundamentals, energy risk management, marketing, business program development and business finance. Ability to interact effectively with customers. Ability to collect, research and effectively analyze data. Effective oral, written and presentation skills, command of industry terminology. Familiarity with office procedures, methods and equipment. Well-developed computer skills and excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office software package including SharePoint. Knowledge of budget and project management software.
Judgement and Initiative:
Reacts professionally to customer concerns and resolves issues independently. Ability to communicate ideas and technical information clearly to internal and external customers. Demonstrated ability to analyze. Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail. Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion and be adaptable to competing demands. Able to complete assigned work in a timely manner under deadline pressures to the satisfaction of the customer. Demonstrated ability to establish own work plans and priorities and/or works cohesively with cross functional teams while maintaining proper scheduling of other work plans and priorities.
Must have strong computer skills with an emphasis on spreadsheets, database and Powerpoint. Ability to use equipment to measure all aspects of energy conservation measures including kW meters, amp meters, ultrasonic equipment, etc.. Ability to use other related equipment and tools in the performance of this position.
Work may involve occasional moving and carrying of light equipment and/or materials. May be required to climb ladders at commercial facilities. Moderate physical effort may be required on an intermittent basis.
License and Certifications:
Valid Driver's License is required.
Preferred: Certified Energy Manager (CEM) or Building Operator Certificate (BOC) is desired.