Group: Business & Finance Job Grade: 55 Revision Date: 8-13-20 Reviewed By:
Work Location: 230 Ash St Office Union: Y☐ N ☒ FLSA: Exempt ☒ Non-exempt ☐
This Position Description presents illustrative work activities usually encountered by personnel filling this position. It is not meant to list all possible work activities in all possible work conditions. It is also not meant to define specific limits on work activities that may be performed by any person holding this position. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of management to assign, direct and control the work of employees under supervision. Position descriptions may occasionally be changed to allow the RMLD to better meet the needs of the customers, reflect applicable laws and regulations, or otherwise implement Commission policies. All non-bargaining unit RMLD workers are “employees at will.”
The Director of Business Finance and customer service reports to the RMLD General Manager (GM) and is responsible for the overall direction, planning and strategizing for all activities of the Division in accordance with the Board policies and votes as well as the direction of the General Manager. The Director is also responsible for the training and evaluation of management employees within the BF division and timeliness and accuracy of the division’s activities.
Illustrative Work Activities:
Essential work activities, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Provides information and advice, as required, to the Board of Commissioners (BOC) and the General Manager. Shares responsibility with the GM for the quarterly updates at the Board meetings and the annual presentation to officials of the four towns.
- Responsible for the overall management of the BF division including manpower needs, scheduling, project assignments, employee evaluations, raise recommendations, training, timeliness and accuracy of the Division’s activities. Develops and documents internal processes and procedures as well as monitors employees’ career development plans.
- Develops and manages RMLD’s Operating and Capital Budgets. Responsibilities include development and/or overseeing the preparation of complex spreadsheets showing budgets for the next fiscal year and development of the six-year capital plan based on input from all the divisions. Administers Pension Trust accounting processes. Works with auditors for annual audits of both the RMLD and Pension Trust audits. Submits annual report filings at federal and state levels (i.e., 861, DPU).
- Provides coverage for GM as assigned (payroll and payables signature authorization). Reviews and approves training for all division personnel. Interacts with Human Resources on employee issues. Participates in union/management negotiations, grievance procedures and arbitrations as needed.
- Responsible for the preparation and distribution of the monthly financial statements and corresponding reports (i.e., 826, sales tax).
- Reviews and resolves both in-house and customer issues within the Division which have not been resolved by usual processes. Independently interact with outside agencies, customers, attorneys, other electric utilities, industry committees, etc.
A Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Business Management or related area as determined by the RMLD. A Master’s Degree in Business Management, Accounting or CPA is preferred.
Minimum 15 years of general accounting experience. A minimum of 7 years’ experience in utility accounting, project management, demonstrated management of a department of division, demonstrated financial and strategic planning, budget experience and year end closings.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of management, finance and administration of a publicly owned electric utility. Knowledge of accounting practices and concepts. Superior skills in development and application of PC-based financial models and spreadsheets. Ability to interact effectively with the public, city leaders and boards. Skill in utilizing and interpreting financial data. Competency in economic and financial forecasting. Ability to work closely with and provide recommendations to Utility directors. Knowledge of RMLD’s billing and accounting software, budget and project management and utility accounting, DPU regulations and MGL Chap 164 as well as purchasing and bidding laws. Strong oral, written and presentation skills. Well-developed computer skills and excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office including SharePoint.
Judgment and Initiative:
Ability to manage (directly and indirectly), strategize, and accept responsibility for a major divisional area including procedures, policies and operations. Demonstrates initiative in ensuring continued process improvements in areas of job description duties to demonstrate better accuracy, productivity, safety and customer service, is expected. Strong understanding of utility’s best practices enables predictive and preventative initiatives. Demonstrates capability for accepting responsibility when involved with internal and external customers. Proven financial strategic planning competence including holistic understanding and recommendations addressing the financial reports in the short and long term.
Ability to use a computer, standard office and communication equipment.
Ability to perform job functions under occasionally adverse weather and working conditions for extended periods of time. Moderate physical effort may be required on an intermittent basis.
Supervisory duties extend to direct and indirect reports as a co-effort with departmental supervisors in performance evaluation, training, hiring, and discipline with occasional direct review and comment on critical projects. Responsible for evaluating performance, training, hiring and disciplining of personnel. Maintains CDP’s for employees supervised.
License and Certifications Required:
Valid Driver’s license required.
Other: Demonstrates ability to communicate ideas and directions to employees, customers, vendors and peers in a clear and concise manner. Demonstrates ability to be a team player. Demonstrates a positive attitude.