GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
Under supervision, is engaged in the installation, maintenance and repair of power lines carrying secondary low voltages; performs related duties as required.
- Strings cable from pole to pole or to building with assistance of ground crew; instructs and assists ground helpers in erecting poles in holes.
- Climbs pole and attaches cross arms to pole; nails, screws or bolts insulators, lighting arresters, transformers and other auxiliary equipment to pole structure or building.
- Installs and maintains underground power lines by pulling wire, installing transformers and preparing them for operation, making stress cones, installing racks and hooking up underground street lights.
- May install and maintain fire alarm and traffic signal systems and street lights; may splice and solder cable for connections.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Working knowledge of the methods and techniques used in the installation of secondary low voltage power lines and auxiliary equipment.
- Working knowledge of the tools and equipment used in the installation and maintenance of secondary low voltage lines.
- Ability to climb
- Ability to employ adequate safety measures, devices and precautions in the handling of electrical circuits.
- Ability to understand and follow instructions.
- Good physical condition, not subject to acrophobia or claustrophobia.
- Completion of elementary school and two years of apprentice or ground experience in the installation and maintenance of power lines and poles; or
- Graduation from an electrical trade school and one year of experience as in (1);
- Satisfactory equivalent combination of training and experience.