The Town of Concord seeks a full-time lineworker with good communication and customer service skills to provide field services related to installation, repair and maintenance of the Town’s overhead and underground transmission/distribution system. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of an operation that residents take pride in. Candidates must be able to work at heights and in confined spaces and must be demonstrate commitment to safety at all times. This position requires knowledge/experience equivalent to HS Diploma/completion of trade classes/apprenticeship and 2 years’ electric line experience. Candidates must possess Class B Massachusetts CDL upon hire and be able to obtain Class 1B, 3A & 2A or 2B Hoisting Licenses within 6 months of hire. Full salary range: $35.56 - $44.82/hour, plus paid leave, health insurance and pension benefits. Starting salary based on qualifications; typically in first half of range. Drug/alcohol screening is a condition of employment. We value diversity and welcome applicants of all backgrounds to apply.
The most highly qualified candidates will be invited to one or more interviews and/or other assessments. All applicants will be notified of their standing in the process as soon as a decision has been made regarding their individual application.
Appointment of the final candidate will be contingent upon the results of pre-placement conditions including criminal and motor vehicle record checks, a physical exam, and a drug screening. Costs for these pre-placement requirements will be borne by the Town.
Department: Concord Municipal Light Plant Salary Grade: EL-3 Reports To: Lead Lineworker FLSA Status: Non-Exempt Appointed By: Town Manager Date: June 2017
Under the general supervision of the Line Supervisor, performs skilled technical work in operating, maintaining, and repairing the electrical systems for the Town. Performs varied and responsible duties requiring a thorough knowledge of departmental operations and the exercise of judgment and initiative in completing tasks, particularly in situations not clearly defined by precedent or established procedures. Is called upon to handle a significant amount of details, each varying from the other in substance and content, requiring flexibility in approach to workload.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.
Operates bucket and digger trucks, backhoes, wire/cable pulling equipment and other related apparatus in support of line construction, repair and maintenance operations. Climbs poles and uses aerial lift equipment. Uses a variety of electrical testing/diagnostic equipment.
- Constructs and maintains overhead and underground utility infrastructure. Consults system maps and records in support of line operations.
- Enters and works in confined underground spaces housing high voltage circuitry and handles wire and equipment when energized at potentials up to 13,800 volts between conductors. Must work under the direct supervision of a higher-grade line worker on assignments involving primary voltage.
- Assists in cleaning, maintaining and stocking line trucks and other plant vehicles and equipment.
- Responds to public inquiries, requests and complaints related to line operations within scope of authority, and refers unresolved matters to supervisor.
- Responds to after hour emergencies to assist in the investigation of outages and restore power and replace or repair electrical infrastructure as needed.
- Performs special projects and related responsibilities as initiated and requested.
- Performs other related duties as required, directed or as the situation dictates.
- Regular attendance at the workplace is required.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE & SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- High school diploma or equivalent, completion of trade classes or apprenticeship program, and a minimum of two years of progressively responsible related electric line experience; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Possession of a valid Class B Commercial Driver’s License and Class 1B, 3A and 2A or 2B Hoisting Licenses.
- Ability to be trained in CPR, first aid and the operation of AED equipment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Considerable knowledge of utility construction techniques and of the methods, materials, and tools used in electrical construction and maintenance work. Considerable knowledge of the principles of electrical theory as applied to electrical circuits and wiring systems and ability to apply this knowledge to work situations. Ability to read and comprehend construction drawings.
- Thorough knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade.
- Ability to operate necessary equipment, exercising caution as necessary.
- Ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with the public, co-workers, other employees, departments, officials and other agencies.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Must be able to climb ladders, work at heights and in cramped conditions, and lift tools required to perform jobs. Frequently required to lift up to 25 pounds and occasionally to lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Extensive walking, standing and kneeling while outside and inside work areas. Physical exertion may be heavy at times. Balancing, crouching, grasping, pulling, reaching and stooping may also be required.
Majority of work is performed outdoors, subject to extreme weather conditions, extreme noise, confined and hazardous spaces and extreme height. Work is frequently near high voltage lines, requiring the use of caution. Vision and hearing at or correctable to normal ranges.
Must be able to sustain extreme physical effort. Works in overhead bucket truck standing for many hours at a time. Must be able to lift, pull, turn, stretch and use heavy equipment while high in the air.
Assembles stock, moves bulk cable, digs, pulls rope and steel cable and lifts manhole covers, all while dealing with ground traffic and pedestrians.
Operates a wide variety of motorized equipment, including light to heavy-duty vehicles and equipment, power/hand tools, and diagnostic testing equipment.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and is subject to change by the employer, as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.