Openings for Tree Trimming Crew – (1) Foreperson, (1) Journeyperson and (1) Laborer
January 25, 2023
The Town of Stowe Electric Department (SED) has been providing the community of Stowe with reliable electric service since 1911. SED takes pride in providing outstanding customer service to our 4,450 Residential and Commercial customers. We are seeking three professionals with tree trimming/vegetation management experience to our team. Available positions: Working Foreperson/Climber, Journeyperson, Laborer.
General Summary of The Positions:
SED Tree Trimmers work as part of a crew and are responsible for ensuring the safe removal of trees and brush near and around high voltage power lines and to maintain SED’s ROWs. These responsibilities are vital in our ability to provide safe and reliable electricity in an efficient manner. SED Tree Trimmers perform varied and responsible duties requiring a thorough knowledge of safety practices and must be able to exercise judgement and initiative in completing tasks.
Essential Job Functions:
- Availability to assist during storm restoration which may occur outside of regular business hours.
- Proper care and maintenance of all SED equipment including vehicles, chainsaws, chippers, tools, ropes and safety equipment.
- Assuring that the trimmed areas are left in an orderly and clean state.
- Uses ropes, pruning poles, files and other tools and equipment in pruning activities.
- Performs the trimming and/or removal of trees, limbs, and brush growing in or near power lines. This includes working on customer’s property and within the ROW.
- Ambassador of safety to themselves and others by displaying outstanding safety practices and participating in on-going safety and other related training.
- Other assigned duties may include flagging, shoveling, garage maintenance.
- Travel to other utilities outside of the SED territory will be required.
- Working around and being able to identify energized conductors.
- Assesses pruning requirements of trees and easements; decayed or insect infested trees and makes recommendations on whether trees should be removed.
- Representation of superior customer service when interacting with customers in the field.
- Learns and demonstrates an understanding of the regulations governing all aspects of the Utility Arboricultural/Line Clearance industry.
Essential Management Functions Relating to The Foreperson:
Provides clear and effective leadership, technical advice and guidance to the tree trimming crew.
- Assigns and schedules daily work adhering to deadlines, schedules, and budgetary limits.
- Leads the daily tail boarding and safety inspections on equipment.
- Works with the Director of Operations to plan, coordinate and develop vegetation maintenance on an annual basis.
- Maintaining and updating records pertaining to daily/weekly/monthly/annual tree trimming schedules.
- Properly recording any work performed for SED or other utilities in our workorder management system.
- Effectively communicating with other crew members to ensure that they understand and follow safe work practices and proper equipment operation.
- Using sound judgement to thoroughly review and analyze problems to make reasonable recommendations.
Qualifications and Basic Requirements:
- Candidates must be at least 18 years of age, have high school diploma or GED.
- Laborers should have One (1) year of experience where the primary function of the position was tree work such as trimming, chipping and removal of trees.
- Familiar with the types and purposes of proper pruning and tree removal techniques and the tools and equipment required.
- Completes CPR/AED certification.
- Must possess a current Vermont CDL class A or B
- Foreperson and Journeyperson should have thorough knowledge and experience of roping and climbing trees.
- Foreperson should have six (6) years of experience where the primary function of the position was tree work such as trimming, chipping and removal of trees, including or supplemented by six (6) months of supervisory experience.
- Foreperson should currently certified or the ability to be certified in, flagging, CPR, arborist, utility specialist, climber specialist, aerial lift specialist, master arborist and tree care safety professional.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, customers, and other personnel.
This is a non-exempt IBEW Local 300 bargaining position. SED provides managed clothing programs, boot, and winter clothing allowances and more. In addition, we offer an outstanding benefits package which includes: health, dental, vision, 401(a), holidays and training opportunities. Additionally, there are generous Paid-Time-Off benefits. New employees will receive a minimum of 6 weeks Paid-Time Off after only 1 year.
WAGES: Laborers, $20 - $25/hour, Journeyperson, $25 - $35/hour, Foreperson, $35 - $40/hour
More detailed job descriptions can be found on our website at www.StoweElectric.com.
Stowe Electric Department is an Equal Opportunity employer and highly encourages women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities to apply. If you have any questions on the available benefits, please call 802-253-1704 or email email@example.com.
Position will remain open until filled – Email your resume and 3 references to:
Town of Stowe Electric Department
Attn: Trish Waugh, Business & Customer Care Manager
P.O. Box 190, Stowe, VT 05672
Fax: (802) 253-4555