Under the direction and technical supervision of the Assistant Director of IT, this position is responsible for administering and implementing RMLD information and operational technology (OT) along with information technology (IT) business analysis and project management duties, as well as end user support. This position will emphasize oversight of OT systems but will require collaboration and support of related IT systems in a secondary capacity.
Primary Responsibility for: OT and control systems including SCADA and GIS, Smart grid systems and advanced metering, Field devices and automation, Application, System, Network, and Cyber Security, Field and Metropolitan Area Networking including fiber optic and wireless communications, Project management of technology implementation and change initiatives
Examples of Current Technology Environment:
VMWare ESXI Microsoft Server 2012 HP Network Systems
Microsoft Office 365 Itron Metering Cogsdale Customer Information System
ESRI GIS SONET Fiber Optic Network Survalent SCADA
Multispeak SOA (future) Cooper/Eaton Advanced Metering Great Plains Enterprise Resource Planning
Illustrative Work Activities:
Essential work activities, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Effectively participate in assigned services and activities of the IT group including designing, implementing, and administering information and OT activities; manage, upgrade, and direct the installation, operation, and maintenance of information and OT hardware and software; manage and maintain data and equipment security.
- Manage and/or coordinate the high-quality implementation of technology projects within the utility.
- Under supervision, manage the deployment, monitoring, maintenance, development, upgrade and support of all IT and OT systems, including servers, PC’s, operating systems, hardware, software, peripherals and application development, and telecommunication systems.
- Evaluate existing OT needs and implement improvements in service. Evaluate, propose, select and develop effective and efficient technology solutions in collaboration with business and other technology staff.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly assimilate information pertaining to systems and applications for administrative and user support duties.
- Respond to the needs and questions of users concerning their access to resources on the network, stand-alone personal computers or attached devices; assist in problems relating to various software programs as necessary. Oversee and facilitate repairs to control systems and/or network systems.
- Ensure the security and back up of all network data and files, design and implementation of network systems.
- Under supervision, provide oversight and execution of routine IT operational functions including user administration, data backups, system monitoring, simple task automation and other duties.
- Attend and participate in professional group meetings; maintain awareness of new trends and developments in the field of IT and OT; incorporate new developments as appropriate.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of business processes for UT Organization.
- Position will include the duties of the Technology User Support Technician as needed.
- Perform related duties as required
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent as determined by RMLD required in Information Systems, Computer Science or any other field that emphasizes technology management, systems design, programming, or similar technology management education. A Project Management Institute certification is desired.
Minimum 3 years of experience in the administration, management, and implementation of complex networks, systems, databases, and applications. Minimum 3 years of business analysis required in implementing new technologies and procedures. Minimum 2 years of project management experience. Experience in the electric power industry directly related to information technology and/or operational technology administration is desirable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of utility specific information and operational technology is desirable. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships internally and externally. Ability to analyze and implement business processes. Ability to interpret tactical and strategic plans and policies. Ability to exercise effective analytical skills. Strong oral, written, and presentation skills with the command of energy industry information technology terminology. Familiarity with office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers. Well-developed computer skills and excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office software including SharePoint.
Judgment and Initiative:
Under direction, performs duties in accordance with established policies, codes, laws and professional standards; unusual policy questions involving interpretation or clarification usually reviewed with UT Manager, Director of Business Finance, or General Manager. Initiative in ensuring continued process improvements in areas of job description duties to demonstrate better accuracy, productivity, safety and customer service, is expected. Strong understanding of utility best practices enables predictive and preventative initiatives. Develops detailed knowledge of business processes, priorities, goals, and needs. Implements policies and technology management practices. Implements hardware and software purchases for utility departments.
Manual Skills: Ability to operate computer keyboards and all related software.
Capable of performing job functions for extended periods of time. Moderate physical effort may be required on an intermittent basis.
Licenses and Certifications:
Valid Driver’s license or equivalent.
Demonstrates ability to communicate ideas and directions to employees, customers, vendors and peers, in a clear and concise manner. Demonstrate ability to be a team player. Demonstrates a positive attitude. Demonstrates leadership with staff, peers, and utility management. Demonstrates tolerance of ambiguity and situational flexibility. Will be required to perform technology implementation, administrative, and operational tasks as required to ensure business continuity and the successful realization of business objectives.