Opening for 1st Class Line Maintainer
The Town of Stowe Electric Department (SED) has been providing the community of Stowe with reliable electric service since 1911. SED takes pride in providing outstanding customer service to our 4,400 Residential and Commercial customers. We are seeking a Certified 1st Class Line Maintainer to join our team of highly skilled professionals.
General Summary of Position:
SED Line Maintainers work as part of a crew and are responsible for ensuring SED customers receive safe and reliable electricity in an efficient manner. SED Line Maintainers perform varied and responsible duties requiring a thorough knowledge of safety practices and must be able to exercise judgement and initiative in completing tasks. Work includes working on de-energized and energized lines utilizing rubber glove practices in all scenarios.
General Summary of Essential Job Functions:
- Installation and maintenance of underground and overhead distribution system.
- Working energized conductors (primary and secondary)
- Setting, framing and guying poles
- Respond to emergency/regular repair/maintenance of overhead and underground distribution lines
- Conduct switching and tagging operations on VELCO electrical systems
- Stringing and Sagging Conductors
- Mounting Equipment, setting transformers
- Transformer Connections, grounding equipment
- Tree Trimming
- Street Lighting
- Locating underground lines for Dig Safe
- Trouble shooting problems
- Working with safety and VOSHA requirements
- Maintaining training and safety skills through scheduled classes
- Any other duties assigned by Management
- Safely operate and maintain the SED operations fleet such as digger derricks, bucket trucks and excavators used in the maintenance and repair of overhead and underground electrical lines.
- Climbing poles
- Installation and removal of banners
- Participation in a rotating on-call schedule
- Respond to requests, comments and/or complaints from customers in a professional manner
- Cleaning and stocking line trucks
- Routine maintenance and cleaning of the garage/sub-stations and other yards
Qualifications and Basic Requirements:
- Candidates must be at least 18 years of age, have high school diploma or GED and a minimum of 2 years of experience.
- 1st Class Line Maintainer certification preferred. Will consider well qualified apprentices.
- Proficient in safe rubber gloving techniques
- Knowledge of electric utility construction standards, National Electric Safety Code, and VOSHA/OSHA standards.
- Valid Commercial Driver’s License or ability to obtain one within 60 days of employment.
- Ability to be available for on-call schedules and emergency call outs.
- Must live within a 30-minute radius of the Town of Stowe or be able to re-locate within 6 months
This is a non-exempt Union position. Stowe Electric Department currently offers competitive wages with the opportunity for over-time and on-call pay. In addition, we offer an outstanding benefits package which includes: health, dental, vision, 401(a), holidays and training opportunities. Additionally, there are generous Paid-Time-Off benefits. New employees will receive a minimum of 6 weeks Paid-Time Off after only 1 year.
WAGES: $46.00/hour - sign-on bonus available.
Stowe Electric Department is an Equal Opportunity employer and highly encourages women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities to apply. If you have any questions on the available benefits, please call 802-253-1704 or email email@example.com.
Position will remain open until filled – Email your resume and 3 references to:
Town of Stowe Electric Department
Attn: Ellen Burt, General Manager
P.O. Box 190, Stowe, VT 05672
Fax: (802) 253-4555