Position: SENIOR CLERK/CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE
MERRIMAC LIGHT DEPARTMENT FULL TIME POSITION
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Respond to customers inquiries and provide prompt response based on inquiries online, in person or phone.
- Resolve customers concerns, inquiries, complaints regarding service and billing.
- Regularly utilize Adobe Acrobat Pro, Excel, Google Sheets, and other industry specific programs.
- Assist in managing websites and social media posts for the Department.
- Communicate effectively and tactfully with a wide variety of individuals, including customers and other department personnel.
- Work collaboratively with others in the Department.
- Interface with online billing system and perform basic bookkeeping skills.
- Understand department procedures, explain department procedures to customers, and assist customers in adapting to change.
- Use information obtained through contact with customers to advise general manager of trends in customer concerns, suggestions and possible new services or products.
- Prioritize workload and perform tasks with attention on efficiency and accuracy.
- Explain complex matters and recommend mutual solutions to customer complaints.
- Gather relevant facts and address various aspects of customers inability or refusal to pay for service.
- Perform multiple tasks at the same time without compromising on quality.
- Comfortable with handling cash opening and closing cash draw in accordance with the office policy and procedures.
- Assign work to the crews for various tasks which will be acquired through requests online, in person or via the phone.
- Create invoices for services provided to other municipalities, insurance claims or final payment.
- Order office supplies and maintain an inventory of the office needs.
- Assist General Manager in educating the public regarding electrical service and energy efficiency program. Create and develop reports that track MMLD reliability.
- Perform administrative, technical, and clerical work related to the billing and collection of revenue for electric service provided by the town.
- Communicate effectively with customers regarding department policies and services.
- Handle customer requests and questions pertaining to electric bills and other relevant topics.
- Process invoices, post daily deposits, and keep customer account records up to date.
- Proficiently navigate MMLD’s billing and accounting system and perform web-based duties.
- Assist the public, department staff, other town departments, vendors, banks, and agencies by processing bills, providing information, and preparing reports.
- Manage multiple phone lines, process applications for new service connections, arrange for service connections, disconnections or transfer of service as required.
- Perform other administrative and customer service tasks as required, directed or as situation dictates.
- Other duties as assigned
RECOMMENDED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Education, Training and Experience:
High School Diploma/GED or associate degree, additional training and experience in customer service and computerized billing applications in the utility environment is a plus.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITY AND SKILL:
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees
- Strong customer service skills
- Strong computer and social media skills
- Demonstrate proficient computer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft office (especially Excel, adobe Acrobat Pro, Word, and Access) Internet, webpage management and other computer functions. Navigate between multiple software systems rapidly and embrace the best practices of identify paperless solutions.
- Ability to perform detailed work accurately and efficiently within deadlines
- Ability to understand direction, receive feedback, learn, and express concerns of the customers
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely with others, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to interact effectively and tactfully with a wide variety of individuals, including customers and other department personnel.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize tasks to deal efficiently with multiple customers simultaneously.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Normal office environment, not subject to extremes in temperature, noise, etc.
- May spend extended periods of time at the computer terminal, at desk, or on the telephone and operating other office equipment requiring eye-hand coordination and finger dexterity.
- Occasional lifting, standing, bending, and carrying of files, documents, and records.
Supervision Scope: Functions are generally well defined and limited in scope but may involve some judgment and initiative in determining method of completion.
Supervision Received: Works under the general supervision of the General Manager referring all questionable cases and problems to the supervisor.
Supervision Given: None.
SPECIFICS REGARDING THE POSITION
- 40 hour per week
- The regular hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 7:30am - 4:00pm
- Hourly wage is commensurate with experience
- Subject to a collective bargaining agreement
TO APPLY :
Please go to www.merrimaclight.com to apply online