This position is responsible for administering and implementing RMLD Network and Security Engineer. This position will emphasize Network Work Operations as Security Information Systems collaboration and support of related System Administration will be a secondary capacity.
Essential Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Network LAN/WAN operations
- Information Security “Best Practice” and “day-to-day” industry understanding
- Project management of technology implementation and change initiatives
- Firewall, EndPoint Discovery, and Response (EDR), and Extended Detection and Response (XDR)
- Cisco/Aruba based network operations and certifications across technologies as assigned
Examples of Current Technology Environment:
- Switch Configuration and Architecture
- Router Architecture and Design
- Telephony systems
- Firewall Maintenance and Security
- Multi-Factor Authentication
- Redundant Network planning and installation
- No signal points of failure in our Security environment
Illustrative Work Activities:
Essential work activities, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Effectively participate in assigned services and activities of the Local Area Network (LAN), Wide area Network, Day-to-day operation of the architecture of the telephony System; implementing, and administering of all security related items redundancy, Multi-factor authentication, firewall maintenance and Telephony segmentation including all related iformation technology hardware and software; manage and maintain data , encryption, and equipment security.
- Independent coordination of the high quality implementation of technology projects within the utility.
- Independently manage the deployment, monitoring, maintenance, development, upgrade, and support of all information technology and operational technology systems, including servers, PC’s, operating systems, hardware, software, peripherals and application development, and telecommunication systems.
- Demonstrate ability to assimilate information pertaining to systems and applications for core back-end technology
- Respond to the needs and questions of users concerning their access to the network, Firewall, Encryption, and Multi-factor authentication, and telephony systems; assist in problems relating to various software programs as necessary.
- Independently assess and choose the the most appropriate technology to bring into RMLD and make sure that it is scalable and flexible to RMLD’s needs
- Under limited supervision, provide execution of routine information technology operational functions including user basic administration, system monitoring, simple task automation, and other duties.
- Perform related duties as required.
Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology or B.S. equivalent as determined by RMLD required. Degree focus must be in Information Systems, Computer Science or any other field that emphasizes technology management, systems design, or similar technology management education.
Master’s degree preferred.
Cisco certification is desired.
- Minimum 7 years of experience in the administration, management, and implementation Lan/Wan switching, routing, and rendundancy
- Minimum 4 years of project management in implementing new technologies and procedures.
- Experience in the electric power industry directly related to information technology and/or operational technology administration is desirable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of utility specific information and operational technology is desirable
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships internally and externally
- Ability to analyze and implement business processes
- Ability to exercise effective analytical skills
- Skill to interpret tactical and strategic plans and policies
- Strong oral, written, and presentation skills with the command of energy industry information technology terminology.
- Familiarity with office procedures, and equipment including networking andi information security.
- Well-developed computer skills and excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, TEAMS, and SharePoint.
Judgment and Initiative:
Independently performs duties in accordance with established policies, codes, laws and professional standards; unusual policy questions involving interpretation or clarification usually reviewed with Director of Information Technology and/or General Manager. Initiative in ensuring continued process improvements in areas of job description duties to demonstrate better accuracy, productivity, safety and customer service, is expected. Strong understanding of utility best practices enables predictive and preventative initiatives.
Develops detailed knowledge of business processes, priorities, goals, and needs.
Implements policies and technology management practices.
Documentation of all projects and initiatives.
Capable of performing job functions for extended periods of time. Moderate physical effort may be required on an intermittent basis.
Ability to have cognitive thought and processing, operate computer keyboards and all related software.
Licenses and Certifications:
Valid Massachusetts Class D Driver’s license is required.
Demonstrates ability to communicate ideas and directions to employees, customers, vendors and peers, in a clear and concise manner. Demonstrate ability to be a team player. Demonstrates a positive attitude. Demonstrates leadership with staff, peers, and utility management. Demonstrates tolerance of ambiguity and situational flexibility. Will be required to perform technology implementation, administrative, and operational tasks as required to ensure business continuity and the successful realization of business objectives.