Responsible for the design, operation, maintenance, upgrades, relocation, repair, and documentation of outside plant (OSP) and inside plant (ISP) telecommunications networks including aerial, buried, and underground fiber, underground conduit, manhole/handhole, pedestal, building entrance, MDU and riser facilities. The Telecommunications Engineer will also be responsible for PON/GPON L1/L2 network upgrades, documentation, capacity planning, maintenance and repair of FTTx network infrastructure in the Central Offices. In addition, the Telecommunications Engineer will also help drive the project through development and budgeting. This role will support construction, operation, and restoration efforts through detailed design, field design, layouts, splicing matrix creation, bill of material creation, inventory forecasting, budgeting, as-built document verification, ensuring complete documentation, conducting research, auditing, and creation of additional resource materials. This position will also aid in ensuring proper GIS documentation of the fiber plant, both during and post construction.
Primary Role Responsibilities:
- Develop construction documents, splicing matrices, project timelines, bill of material lists, inventory forecasts, and cost estimates for the construction of Fiber Serving Areas (FSAs) and new customer projects.
- Develop and maintain documentation including GIS, diagrams, standard operating procedures, and work instructions
- Plan, coordinate, and troubleshoot plant issues with technicians, splicers, other departments, contractors, and external organizations during construction, splicing, testing, outages, Dig Safe®, relocation, or turn up activities.
- Verify as-built documents and test results (OTDR traces)
- Plan, maintain, upgrade and troubleshoot L1/L2 PON network
- Provide primary support for Active Ethernet & GPON ODN core systems such as: OLTs, OTEs, ONTs, fiber optic spans, fiber distribution hubs, fiber optic termination panels, splitters, DC power systems, and associated Central Office (CO) equipment.
- Communicate technical information and issue status to customer service, technical support staff, network vendors and management teams
- Participate in on-call rotation
- Perform related duties, as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Information Systems, Engineering or equivalent business experience with a minimum of 3 years’ telecommunications outside plant design/build experience
- OSP construction knowledge with ability to troubleshoot, create, read, and red-line construction drawings to facilitate new build, relocations, replacement, demolition, and emergency repairs
- Must have working knowledge in all technical aspects of designing outside fiber plant as well as troubleshooting and implementation best practices
- ISP experience required with working knowledge of PON networking design, build, troubleshooting and systems maintenance. Calix experience is preferred.
- Understanding of Active Ethernet, GPON/ODN, TCP/IP, Routing, Switching, IPv4, IPv6, BGP, OSPF, CoS & QoS.
- Ability to read and understand maps, drawings, and diagrams for project build process
- Knowledge of ADSS cable installation best practices
- Able to work with and oversee both internal and contractor construction crews
- Proficiency in Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Strong organizational skills
- Basic understanding of the National Electric Code and National Electric Safety Code
- Familiarity with GIS (Geographic Information Systems) Experience in Auto CAD, CrescentLink and ESRI a plus
- Must be able to distinguish the colors within the fibers and buffer tubes within fiber optic cable.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Execution of all job responsibilities and assignments promptly, reliably, honestly, ethically, and in a professional manner
This description is not intended to be a complete statement of the position, but rather to act as a guide to the general work to be performed. Individual's competencies and customer requirements impact the actual role performed.
For consideration, email resume to Natalie Colberg at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to: Chicopee Electric Light, Attn: Natalie Colberg, 725 Front Street, Chicopee, Massachusetts 01020