Energy New England is seeking an experienced, highly motivated, Vice President Wholesale Operations to join our team. Responsible for initiating, defining, leading, and prioritizing strategic initiatives of the wholesale energy organization. Manages the team responsible for day-to-day operations for energy risk management including front, middle and back-office activities, power generation, and distributed energy resource management. Leads transaction origination and structuring effort to develop solutions to cost-effectively manage risk and decarbonize customer portfolios. Oversees development of risk management policies for company and customers, as well as development of customer one-off purchase power agreements as well as master energy purchase and sale agreements. Responsible for developing and maintaining customer relationships and identifying business development opportunities for company and its customers.
Drives market analysis to support existing services and new service development. Supports company conservation and sustainability efforts. Directs, administers, and coordinates activities in accordance with policies, goals, and objectives.
- Experience in the wholesale power business and expertise in energy risk management, retail energy supply and end user programs, and in green energy procurement
- Contribute to positioning Energy New England as a leader in energy risk management and decarbonization at wholesale and retail, and to expand its core business platforms
- Oversee daily operations of the growing wholesale energy business unit consisting of eleven staff with 3 direct reports
- Work with President & CEO and CSO to shape public power energy policy; maintain and enhance relationships with regional state energy offices and regulatory agencies
- Design and implement business strategies, plans and procedures
- Assists in developing strategic short and long-range operating plans and policies
- Prepare annual year in review short presentations for clients and their electric boards
- Serve as a key leader and advisor in the organization
- Set comprehensive goals for group and individual employee performance and growth, working with Senior Directors of Energy Operations, Energy Procurement, and Market Operations
- Establish policies that promote company culture and vision
- Lead employees to encourage maximum performance and dedication
- Evaluate performance by analyzing and interpreting data and metrics
- Write and submit reports to the CEO in all matters of importance
- Participate in expansion activities
- Manage relationships with partners/vendors
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum ten (10) years of work experience in the energy business and in a senior management position
- Experience managing a staff of professionals across functional areas
- Thorough knowledge of the energy industry products, services, and procedures
- At least ten (10 years) ISO New England market experience; other ISO or RTO market experience a plus
- Strong regulatory relations, including solid understanding of external State and Federal rules and regulations for energy industry
- Professional, well developed interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience in the energy/sustainability community, public and private
- Excellent negotiator
- Strong communication skills: writing, public speaking, and presentation
- Expert capabilities with spreadsheets, Microsoft Office suite
- Exceptional leadership and management skills
- Outstanding collaborative problem-solving skills
Energy New England (ENE) was founded in 1998 to enhance the competitive position of public power entities in response to deregulation and to attain operating efficiencies in energy risk management and retail account management. We are a municipal light plant cooperative established under Chapter 164, Section 47C of the Massachusetts General Laws. Our ownership is made up of light departments in Braintree, Taunton, Concord, Hingham, and Wellesley, Massachusetts.
ENE is the largest wholesale risk management and energy trading organization serving the needs of municipal utilities in the northeast. We currently manage the power supplies of over twenty municipal electric systems serving more than 1100 MW of electric load and more than 550 MW of generation in all six New England states. We advise on and/or conduct more than one billion kilowatt hours in wholesale power transactions and 100-150 million kilowatt hours in retail transactions annually. We also manage up to 250,000 therms of natural gas per day within our customers’ portfolios, as well as up to 5,000 barrels per day of fuel oil.
ENE works with numerous businesses, residents and utilities to help promote the principles of conservation, efficiency, and environmental stewardship, and advances the many benefits available through integrated sustainability planning. The ENE service portfolio encompasses the 4 C’s of sustainability: Conservation, Carbon Mitigation, Commodity Services, and Clean Technologies.
For consideration, please forward your resume and cover letter to Careers@ene.org
We offer a competitive salary, great employee benefits, a generous time off package, and a great work environment
Energy New England complies with all aspects of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and state disability laws. This means we will not discriminate against qualified individuals with a disability in any phase of the employment relationship including application for employment, hiring, promotions and/or advancement opportunities, termination, compensation, training and any other conditions or privileges of employment.