Paxton Municipal Light Department
578 Pleasant Street, Paxton, MA 01612
Position: Working General Foreman
Reports to: Light Department Manager
The purpose of this position is to plan, organize, coordinate, and supervise construction, maintenance and repair operations of the Town’s underground and overhead primary and secondary electrical distribution and transmission system and related facilities; and all other related work as required. The Working General Foreman is responsible and accountable for maintaining and improving upon the safety, efficiency, and effectiveness of all areas under his/her direction and control.
Works under the direction of the Light Department Manager. Performs complex skilled technical, administrative, and supervisory work in operating, maintaining, and repairing the electrical systems for the Town. Is responsible for operations, maintenance and construction activities performed by line crew workers, contracted personnel and building maintenance.
Administrative work is performed in a typical office environment, the incumbent also works outdoors at which time he/she may be exposed to weather temperature extremes, inclement weather, the hazards of working with electricity, and the hazards of working near mechanical parts. The incumbent must be on call for emergencies and is required to be on a regularly rotating standby schedule to respond to after-hour power outages or emergencies to restore power in a safe and efficient manner.
Operates an automobile/light duty truck, power, and hand tools, regularly operates a computer and computer software, including word processing, spreadsheets, and specialty software, as well as a calculator, phone, radio, fax and copy machine. Utilizes wire location equipment, substation equipment, bucket, and line truck.
Interacts frequently, in person, by phone or email, with the public and other town employees, vendors, other municipal utility personnel, phone and cable companies, residential electricians and consultants.
Errors could result in personal injury or injury to other employees, delay of department services, poor public relations, damage to buildings or equipment, and financial and/or legal repercussions to the Light Department or the Town.
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Plans, organizes, and coordinates a variety of new construction, maintenance, and repair projects, involving distribution and transmission systems to ensure efficient utilization of materials, equipment, and staff.
- Performs a variety of complex and semi-routine duties requiring considerable independent judgement as to work methods and assignments, adopting, or modifying method and procedures to meet changing conditions.
- Receives and originates work orders; reviews work plans and project priorities and assigns work to line workers. Provides recommendations as appropriate and oversees timely completion of projects in conformance with policies/specifications and applicable safety rules and regulations.
- Maintains proper stock reserves, orders materials and equipment needed for distribution system maintenance, as well as coordinates vehicle/equipment maintenance and testing.
- Works as part of a four (4) person crew performing all work of the First-Class Linemen or lower positions, as needed.
- Prepares, submits, and maintains various reports and records related to line operations and activities such as time records, inspection reports, material records and others.
- Responsible for coordinating the Facility ground maintenance to include mowing, snow removal and other tasks.
- Implements approved operating and safety procedures and monitors their effectiveness.
- Ensures compliance of all health and safety regulations.
- Performs meter reading, testing and installation.
- Responds to major after hour emergencies to direct repair/reconstruction operations.
- Coordinates switching activities and ensures safety protocols are followed.
- Responsible for preparing maps, records and drawings of utility line construction and repair projects.
- Provides cost estimates and design layouts for house services, commercial construction, and subdivision projects.
- Proposes and promotes processes that improve on safety and efficiency.
- Responsible for investigating and trying to resolve customer complaints.
- Perform annual reviews of line crew.
- Works with other Town departments, state, and local authorities to coordinate projects.
- Performs similar or related work as required, directed or as situation dictates.
- Conducts daily foreman meetings to ensure a coordination of efforts and to review workplace and on-site safety.
Recommended Minimum Qualifications
Education, Training and Experience:
- High school diploma
- Minimum one year (1) experience supervising union utility personnel
- Four (4) years linemen training course
- Ten (10) years electrical distribution experience
- Must live within a reasonable proximity of Paxton, MA
- Possession of a valid Class B CDL license is required
- A Massachusetts Hoisting license is required
- Four (4) Year Linemen training course
- Successfully pass a drug and alcohol screening as well as participate in random drug and alcohol testing
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing to diverse groups and individuals
Thorough knowledge in the use of methods, materials, and tools used in electrical construction and maintenance work. Thorough knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade. Considerable knowledge of the principals of electrical theory as applied to electrical circuits and wiring systems and ability to apply this knowledge to work situations.
Ability to supervise the work of journey workers and direct jobs safely, efficiently, and economically. Ability to effectively instruct subordinates in the proper methods, procedures, and precautions of line work. Ability to coordinate switching operations under adverse operating conditions. Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings and construction specifications and to ensure that work is performed in accordance with these specifications and safety regulations.
Excellent customer communication and support skills, organizational skills to coordinate activities of various line crews and to ensure timely completion of planned and emergency line repair and construction projects. Skills in operating above mentioned equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Frequent periods supervising or inspecting in non-office environments. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, climb, handle and/or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms as well as lift/move heavy objects. Physical ability to work at heights, in confined spaces, and to operate heavy equipment. Regular and sustained periods of strenuous physical exertion, requiring the ability to lift, carry and position heavy objects utilizing proper body mechanics and techniques.
Applicants should send their resume to Tara Rondeau, General Manager, 578 Pleasant St. Paxton, MA or email: firstname.lastname@example.org