WEST BOYLSTON MUNICIPAL LIGHTING PLANT
4 Crescent Street, West Boylston, Massachusetts 01583
Telephone (508) 835-3681 Fax (508) 835-2952
Position Title: Working General Foremen
Reports To: Lighting Plant Assistant General Manager
Under direction of the Lighting Plant Assistant General Manager, responsible and accountable for the safe and efficient provision of electric services to the Town through overhead and underground distribution and transmission systems. The Working General Foremen will maintain licenses and training necessary to perform all functions of a first class lineman, this employee must be able to meet and fulfill all of the physical requirements of a first class lineman as well. Other duties, shared with the General Superintendent and/or Assistant General Manager, will include responsible for upload/download of computer notebooks, substation maintenance, meter readings and repairs/testing of related equipment. Responsible for harmonious work relationships with and among employees.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS*:
- Plans, coordinates and supervises line crews engaged in construction and maintenance of overhead and underground electrical systems including distribution lines, substations and primary and secondary
- Provides for the oversight, training and development of all line personnel, tree crews and meter personnel including safety training.
- Ensures compliance by personnel to applicable safety and health rules and
- In coordination with General Superintendent and/or Assistant General Manager, performs load management responsibilities to ascertain impact of new loads on system and to select proper supply voltages.
- Responsible for purchasing and ordering a variety of materials and equipment necessary to operate and maintain electric lighting plant and system. Selects materials to be used based on evaluation of products, quality, costs, etc. Recommends major purchases to the Assistant General
- In coordination with General Superintendent and/or Assistant General Manager, selects and designs meters, instruments, transformers, sockets, etc. for single and poly-phase metering
- Able to perform meter testing and meter reading
- In coordination with General Superintendent and/or Assistant General Manager, designs and lays out lighting for highways and special applications in accordance with established industry and WBMLP standards.
- Responsible for the preparation of maps, records and drawings related to utility line construction and repair projects.
- Coordinates with General Superintendent and/or Assistant General Manager and supports the preparation of data and statistics required to file necessary reports to regulatory bodies, agencies and other Town
- Ensure the proper recordkeeping of time, materials and activities for areas of
- Will be on call to respond to after-hour power outages or emergencies to repair or direct line activities to restore power safely and as efficiently as
- Confers and works closely with outside consultants and construction engineers to maintain electrical distribution, transmission system
- Monitors condition of department vehicles, maintains maintenance schedules and recommends repair or replacement as
- In coordination with General Superintendent and/or Assistant General Manager, prepares specifications and documents for bids including materials and labor. Reviews bids and makes
- Proposes measures that improve safety, efficiency and be an advocate for process
- In coordination with General Superintendent and/or Assistant General Manager, explore and encourage the use of the latest technology in system control, data acquisition, performance monitoring,
- Will prepare pole petitions or other public notices as required
- May assist Assistant General Manager during interview of applicants for vacant positions and make recommendations of appointment to the Assistant General
- Annually do written performance evaluations of line crews and contracted tree crews, recommends changes in status and
- Confers with office staff related to accounting, the budget and customer
- Works collegially with other Town departments, state and local authorities and others in support of coordinating project responsibilities to achieve maximum
- Confers with and works with other utility companies on projects of mutual
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Considerable knowledge of the geography of the Town, location of underground distribution lines and other underground
- Conducts daily foreman meetings to ensure a coordination of efforts, to review workplace safety matters and discuss matters related to public
- Maintains current knowledge of profession through peer association, review of literature, and attendance at meetings, seminars, specialized schools, and continuing education related to duties and responsibilities, This includes maintaining all licenses and qualifications required to perform the work of a first class lineman.
- Be available to engage in line work at the level of a First Class Lineman or above.
- Performs other related duties as
Duties require knowledge of electric distribution systems equivalent to at least ten years of related experience in an electric utility, or as a Lead Lineman for an electric utility, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge of electrical theory, computer programs, GIS, metering and testing and environmental regulations.
Thorough knowledge of electric system distribution/transmission systems and on-going knowledge of safety rules and regulations.
Thorough knowledge of the rules and regulations of the WBMLP, Town policies and by-laws, and State laws relevant to the electric utility industry; leadership, supervision, judgment and decision making abilities; ability to command the operations of personnel and equipment effectively and with good judgment under life threatening and other emergency conditions.
Experience supervising utility union personnel or have been a member of a union working for a utility.
Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing to various and diverse groups and individuals.
Must possess a Class “A” Massachusetts Commercial Driver’s License and Massachusetts Hydraulic License.
Responsible for operations, maintenance and construction activities performed by line crew workers, contracted personnel and building maintenance. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the WBMLP policies and applicable laws.
Frequent periods supervising or inspecting in non-office environments with exposure to weather conditions and extremes.
Occasional walking, standing and climbing while conducting inspections of work sites.
Some exposure to electrical hazards and extreme weather conditions during emergency situations. Occasional travel is required to attend meetings and conferences and to respond to emergencies. Physically performing all the duties of a first class linemen including climbing poles.
Moving and Lifting heavy objects to repair and maintain a 13,800 volt distribution system.
Direct supervision over field operations.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.