In addition to in-class lecture, the Substation I Program incorporates hands-on application of concepts and testing, field visits and tours of different installations, and weekly testing including a final exam to demonstrate knowledge and comprehension of the course content. Each Friday of the session will be conducted virtually for review and testing.
This course is designed for:
• Lineworkers or operations employees
• Substation Technicians
• Employees or Supervisors transitioning from other departments
• Construction Supervisors
• Project Managers
Unless otherwise notes, in-person sessions are held from 8:00 am – 2:00 pm each day.
Each Friday of the session will consist of a virtual review of the week’s material and online testing. Students should plan to attend classes in-person at the Training Center Tuesday – Thursday, and join the session(s) remotely on Friday.
Dates are subject to change however advance notice will be provided, as needed.
Session I: March 28 – 31, 2023 *
* Day 1, March 28th: 8:00 am – 3:00 pm
Session II: April 18 – 21, 2023
Session III: May 2 – 5, 2023
Session IV: May 23 – 26, 2023
NEPPA Training Center
200 New Estate Road
Littleton, MA 01460
1. Recognize safety hazards in a substation
2. Demonstrate a foundational knowledge of how electricity is transmitted through substations
3. Practice safely entering, exiting, and performing maintenance in a substation.
4. Apply concepts of the substation’s role in a distribution system.
5. Identify and classify equipment found in a substation, including applicable safety precautions including PPE
6. Demonstrate an understanding of SCADA, as well as basic switching and tagging.
7. Ability to deenergize and reenergize a power transformer
8. Recognize applicable standards, specifications, and regulations such as OSHA and the National Electrical Safety Code (NESC).
Students are expected to take NEPPA’s Basic Electricity and Mathematics for Utility Operations (BEM) course, and/or demonstrate a solid understanding of basic electricity concepts, theory and mathematics through prequalification testing. The BEM Class will be held on the first day of Substation I from 8:00 am – 3:00 pm.
Registration fees include coffee and lunch each day. If you have any dietary restrictions or considerations, please make note on your registration.
Cancellations are accepted until Tuesday, March 28, 2023. Substitutions may be made at any time prior to the start of the first session.
P.E., Safety & Technical Trainer
Tim Richardson joined NEPPA in September of 2019 and has been an asset to the training team. Tim has long history working in the electric utility industry, Belmont Municipal Light Department from 1995 – 2007. There he served in many management capacity including General Manager.
Most recently, Tim has worked as Principal of Fundy Power Services, LLC and at Consulting Engineers Group prior to that.
Tim brings a wealth of both technical and safety expertise to the organization and applies his expertise of both in an easy-to-understand and easy-to-learn approach.
Lodging is not included in your registration fees and must be arranged directly with the hotel. If you need overnight accommodations, please contact any of the following hotels directly and be sure to mention you’re with NEPPA (or the appropriate code/account number) to receive the negotiated rate:
Courtyard by Marriott Littleton – January 1 – April 30, 2023 – $142/night + tax, May 1 – October 31, 2023 – $169/night + tax, November 1 – December 31, 2023 – $142/night + tax
Rate code: BZL
102 Constitution Avenue
Littleton, MA 01460
(978) 440-5040 – If calling to make your reservation, be sure to mention either NEPPA or Northeast Public Power
Boxboro Regency Hotel & Conference Center – $99/night + tax
242 Adams Place
Boxboro, MA 01719
The Westford Regency Inn & Conference Center – January 1 – March 31, 2023 – $105/night + tax, April 1 – October 31, 2023 – $125/night + tax, November 1 – December 31, 2023 – $105/night + tax
219 Littleton Road
Westford, MA 01886
SpringHill Suites Devens Common Center – $149/night + tax
27 Andrews Parkway
Devens, MA 01434
Hilton Garden Inn Devens – $149/night + tax
59 Andrews Parkway
Devens, MA 01434